The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Conceivably OT: 80s and 90s era CAD software
@ 2017-10-21  9:11 Wesley Parish
From: Wesley Parish @ 2017-10-21  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm wondering, with 80s and 90s era Unix being discussed, if there are
any copies of the 80s and 90s era CAD software extant in some form or
other? (Preferably free to good archive?)

IIRC it was a major driver of graphics capabilities in Unix
workstations around that time.

Wesley Parish

* [TUHS] Conceivably OT: 80s and 90s era CAD software: CADroid
@ 2017-10-21 17:11 ` Don Hopkins
From: Don Hopkins @ 2017-10-21 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have an old copy of CADroid for the Sun-3 from 1987 sitting around, which runs on SunView. (It’s the original version before I worked with Mitch Bradley integrating it with CForth to replace its old icky extension language. Unfortunately I didn’t keep a copy of the source code and our CForth mods.)

http://www.donhopkins.com/home/cadroid.tgz <http://www.donhopkins.com/home/cadroid.tgz>

Sun licensed it from Lucasfilm, and used it to design various circuit board. That tar file includes a 4 meg board schematic (but not the rest of Sun’s schematics library, alas ;).

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/net.lsi/I8aoKvm78-o <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/net.lsi/I8aoKvm78-o>

https://books.google.nl/books?id=aDCH6OPGmh8C&pg=PA32&lpg=PA32&dq=%22cadroid%22+lucas+schematic&source=bl&ots=oa78HI0TWr&sig=l-o1d91YP70bZWH57yLaHluR3jw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi2t-jXkILXAhWEORoKHXAyDXUQ6AEIOzAG#v=onepage&q=%22cadroid%22%20lucas%20schematic&f=false <https://books.google.nl/books?id=aDCH6OPGmh8C&pg=PA32&lpg=PA32&dq=%22cadroid%22+lucas+schematic&source=bl&ots=oa78HI0TWr&sig=l-o1d91YP70bZWH57yLaHluR3jw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi2t-jXkILXAhWEORoKHXAyDXUQ6AEIOzAG#v=onepage&q="cadroid" lucas schematic&f=false>

https://www.computer.org/csdl/mags/cg/1984/05/04055788.pdf <https://www.computer.org/csdl/mags/cg/1984/05/04055788.pdf>

-Don

> On 21 Oct 2017, at 11:11, Wesley Parish <wobblygong at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm wondering, with 80s and 90s era Unix being discussed, if there are
> any copies of the 80s and 90s era CAD software extant in some form or
> other? (Preferably free to good archive?)
>
> IIRC it was a major driver of graphics capabilities in Unix
> workstations around that time.
>
> Wesley Parish

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] Conceivably OT: 80s and 90s era CAD software: CADroid
@ 2017-10-21 17:26   ` Clem cole
From: Clem cole @ 2017-10-21 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Warren has the Unix circuit Design system UCSD  from research that Ken used for Belle in Unix/Ts aka V7 and v8.  Rob and Bart L updated/replaced with something else for the bilt on plan 9 which was after me but the core was based on UCSD.  Dan Cross might know more from plan 9 days and I can ask Presotto and Bart

Sent from my PDP-7 Running UNIX V0 expect things to be almost but not quite.

@ 2017-10-22  0:06 ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-10-22  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 21 Oct 2017, Wesley Parish wrote:

> I'm wondering, with 80s and 90s era Unix being discussed, if there are
> any copies of the 80s and 90s era CAD software extant in some form or
> other? (Preferably free to good archive?)

Dunno if it counts, but Eagle is still available, hence may not qualify;
it kicked off around the late 80s.

* [TUHS] Conceivably OT: 80s and 90s era CAD software
@ 2017-10-22  7:53   ` Wesley Parish
From: Wesley Parish @ 2017-10-22  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Might be worth asking them if they have any objection to having their
80s and 90s releases preserved in the likes of TUHS. It would've been
built on a BSD-based Unix, I take it?

@ 2017-10-22 17:46     ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2017-10-22 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Oct 22, 2017 at 9:53 AM, Wesley Parish <wobblygong at gmail.com> wrote:

> Might be worth asking them if they have any objection to having their
> 80s and 90s releases preserved in the likes of TUHS. It would've been
> built on a BSD-based Unix, I take it?
>
> On 10/22/17, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, 21 Oct 2017, Wesley Parish wrote:
> >
> >> I'm wondering, with 80s and 90s era Unix being discussed, if there are
> >> any copies of the 80s and 90s era CAD software extant in some form or
> >> other? (Preferably free to good archive?)
> >
> > Dunno if it counts, but Eagle is still available, hence may not qualify;
> > it kicked off around the late 80s.
> >
> > --
> > Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Those who don't understand security will
> > suffer."

​They are now owned by autocad, I'd not put out a lot of hope.​

@ 2017-10-22 20:38     ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-10-22 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 22 Oct 2017, Wesley Parish wrote:

[ Eagle CAD ]

> Might be worth asking them if they have any objection to having their
> 80s and 90s releases preserved in the likes of TUHS. It would've been
> built on a BSD-based Unix, I take it?

Our clients used it on old Suns (Sun-2, as I recall), so yeah, BSD (before
they got infected with SysVile).

* [TUHS] Conceivably OT: 80s and 90s era CAD software
@ 2017-10-22 22:33       ` George Michaelson
From: George Michaelson @ 2017-10-22 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

possibly the last s/w package I saw which had the regents official
stamp logo in the corner, was the BSD tape of magic/spice. I found it
sort-of pleasing that a s/w suite designed to help make chips, was
being distributed with the same licence (US legal paper, that font..)
as the one used to ship the software used to design and make the
software used to design and make the hardware used to ...

Oh NO! Pooh, thats not honey, thats RECURSION!!!!

@ 2017-10-23  1:13     ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2017-10-23  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 1:26 PM, Clem cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:
> Warren has the Unix circuit Design system UCSD  from research that Ken used
> for Belle in Unix/Ts aka V7 and v8.  Rob and Bart L updated/replaced with
> something else for the bilt on plan 9 which was after me but the core was
> based on UCSD.  Dan Cross might know more from plan 9 days and I can ask
> Presotto and Bart

While I'm flattered, Clem gives me far too much credit. :-) I'm afraid
I've got no knowledge on the CAD story vis Plan 9. Bart or Dave would
know much more on that, I think.

        - Dan C.

* [TUHS] Conceivably OT: 80s and 90s era CAD software
@ 2017-10-23  7:06         ` Clem cole
From: Clem cole @ 2017-10-23  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)