The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Mt Xinu manual scanning finished
@ 2018-12-20  1:46 Al Kossow
From: Al Kossow @ 2018-12-20  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

http://bitsavers.org/pdf/mtXinu

* Re: [TUHS] Mt Xinu manual scanning finished
@ 2018-12-20  2:35 ` Jeremy C. Reed
From: Jeremy C. Reed @ 2018-12-20  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Al Kossow; +Cc: tuhs

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018, Al Kossow wrote:

> http://bitsavers.org/pdf/mtXinu

Thanks for doing this.

I see it says "with NFS" and I see various docs like getmntent,
rnusers, yppasswd, getdirentries (like also in the UWisc4.3 edition).

Does any of this have a summary of what was added to or changed from
4.3BSD?

* Re: [TUHS] Mt Xinu manual scanning finished
@ 2018-12-20  3:08 ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2018-12-20  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Al Kossow; +Cc: tuhs

> On 20 Dec 2018, at 12:46, Al Kossow <aek@bitsavers.org> wrote:
>
> http://bitsavers.org/pdf/mtXinu

The first “unix” that I had serious amounts of time on was Minix 1.something (1.3, maybe?).  This was about 1988, I think.  There was a HP-UX machine (I think an HP-9000) at my university (QUT) that I had an account on, but it was busy, and hard to get a terminal, and I didn’t have dialup access as a lowly undergrad.

So I got a hold of a stack of floppies, wiped my MS-DOS install, and built myself a Minix system on my i286 PC.

In flicking through the Mt Xinu manuals, I’m struck by the fact that my knowledge of basic Unix utilities is, to this day, largely limited to what was in Minix.  jot, rs, various others are foreign to me — and they’re the ones not in Minix v1.

I seem to recall spending many, many hours poring over man pages, reading the docs cover to cover, as I explored the system.

I guess I should read these now … :-)

Thanks Al,