The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] John Warnock [1940--2023]
@ 2023-08-21 21:24 Nelson H. F. Beebe
From: Nelson H. F. Beebe @ 2023-08-21 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

[This posting was sent earlier today to some local lists, but may also
be of interest to TUHS members.]

The UofUtah lost one its significant alumni, John Warnock, on Saturday.

John received Bachelor's and Master's degrees from the Department of
Mathematics, and his doctoral degree from the Department of Electrical
Engineering.

After jobs at Evans & Sutherland in Salt Lake City, and Xerox PARC
labs in Palo Alto, CA, he later went on to co-found Adobe Systems with
Chuck Geschke (1939--2021), and the PostScript, PDF, and font
technologies, and many others, that came from their company changed
the publishing model of the entire world.

See

        https://www.cs.utah.edu/adobe-co-founder-and-kahlert-school-of-computing-alum-john-warnock-passes-away/
        https://www.ksl.com/article/50713319/adobe-co-founder-utah-native-john-warnock-dies-at-82
        https://www.adobe.com/
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Geschke
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Warnock

John's doctoral thesis is available at:

        https://www.proquest.com/pqdtglobal/docview/302478116/2F149E6F459946B7PQ

- University of Utah                                                          -
- Department of Mathematics, 110 LCB    Internet e-mail: beebe@math.utah.edu  -
- 155 S 1400 E RM 233                       beebe@acm.org  beebe@computer.org -

* [TUHS] Re: John Warnock [1940--2023]
@ 2023-08-21 23:49 ` Pete Wright via TUHS
From: Pete Wright via TUHS @ 2023-08-21 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 8/21/23 14:24, Nelson H. F. Beebe wrote:
> [This posting was sent earlier today to some local lists, but may also
> be of interest to TUHS members.]
>
> The UofUtah lost one its significant alumni, John Warnock, on Saturday.
>
> John received Bachelor's and Master's degrees from the Department of
> Mathematics, and his doctoral degree from the Department of Electrical
> Engineering.
>
> After jobs at Evans & Sutherland in Salt Lake City, and Xerox PARC
> labs in Palo Alto, CA, he later went on to co-found Adobe Systems with
> Chuck Geschke (1939--2021), and the PostScript, PDF, and font
> technologies, and many others, that came from their company changed
> the publishing model of the entire world.

Wow I never realized the work he did with the Warnock algorithm, as in I
was familiar with similar approaches to rendering in film and video
(tiling and stitching frames together in renderman for example) - but
was never made aware that those approaches probably stemmed from his phd
thesis.

I feel like a lot of modern data processing pipelines could learn a
thing or two from this approach.

Thanks for sharing...

-pete

--