The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [Unix-jun72] DC-11 quick hack
@ 2008-05-07  7:04 Tim Newsham
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Tim Newsham @ 2008-05-07  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok, I had some initial success with a quick and dirty hack.

   - apply the attached patch to your simh tree and rebuild pdp11
     and copy it into your tools directory.
     - maps the TTIX device into the DC11 space
     - forces the CSR to return the carry-detect bit as always on
   - edit build/init.s and uncomment some or all of the ttys
     build it and place it on your drive:
     $ vi build/init.s
     $ tools/as build/init.s
     $ cp b.out build/root/etc/init
     $ tools/mkfs -p fs/Readme build/root rf0.dsk rf
   - copy your simh.cfg to simh2.cfg and add these lines before
     the "go" line:
     set ttix en
     set ttix lines=8
     att ttix 5555
   - run "./simh2.cfg"

at this point you can telnet to port 5555 and enjoy a multi user
unix system.  This lacks a lot of polish and needs a bit of work
yet, but its quick and dirty.

You'll have to revert to the old init if you want to use the normal
simh.cfg since the kernel will panic when opening the other ttys
if the DC11 hardware isnt attached.

Tim Newsham
http://www.thenewsh.com/~newsham/
On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 09:04:26PM -1000, Tim Newsham wrote:
> Ok, I had some initial success with a quick and dirty hack.
>   - apply the attached patch to your simh tree and rebuild pdp11
>     and copy it into your tools directory.
>     - maps the TTIX device into the DC11 space
>     - forces the CSR to return the carry-detect bit as always on

Tim, on the flip side, can we patch the kernel to:
	- use the TTIX device instead of DC11s
	- always see the carry-detect bit as always on

If we make it a kernel patch, we can remove it if/when simh gets DC11 support.

Cheers,
	Warren

* [Unix-jun72] DC-11 quick hack
@ 2008-05-07 10:31 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2008-05-07 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 09:04:26PM -1000, Tim Newsham wrote:
> Ok, I had some initial success with a quick and dirty hack.
>   - apply the attached patch to your simh tree and rebuild pdp11
>     and copy it into your tools directory.
>     - maps the TTIX device into the DC11 space
>     - forces the CSR to return the carry-detect bit as always on

As a third alternative, it's obvious that Simh should have a run-time
config to set the carry-detect bit as always on, e.g

	set ttix carrier=on

In fact, from reading the Simh source it looks like we can already modify the
DL11 address, something like:

	set ttix address ???		# I can't deduce the syntax

So we could modify pdp11_dl.c to have a run-time variable uint16 ttix_carrier
which is default 0, but settable to 004.

If someone can point out the syntax to change the Simh ttix addresses from
17774000-17774177 to 17776500-17776677, I'd be very grateful!

	Warren

* [Unix-jun72] DC-11 quick hack
@ 2008-05-07 13:04   ` Brad Parker
From: Brad Parker @ 2008-05-07 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just rebuilt everything from scratch and using the images created by
imgbuild I can't get unix to boot.

If I build the cold image use an old tape it works fine.

Are the rf0.dsk images know to boot clean w/o cold?

(I wonder if it's not just a permissions problem on /etc/init)

-brad

ps: you won't be able to change the TTIX (DL) address in simh without a patch;

* [Unix-jun72] DC-11 quick hack
@ 2008-05-09 13:18 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2008-05-09 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 09:04:26PM -1000, Tim Newsham wrote:
> Ok, I had some initial success with a quick and dirty hack.
>   - apply the attached patch to your simh tree and rebuild pdp11
>     and copy it into your tools directory.
>     - maps the TTIX device into the DC11 space
>     - forces the CSR to return the carry-detect bit as always on

I was going to write a proper DC-11 device for Simh, but Tim's patch to
the DL11 was so small that I decided it would be easier to allow runtime
configuration of the DL11 to behave like a DC11. I've just added misc/DL.diff
to our subversion tree. If you apply this patch to Simh, then you can add
these lines to your simh.cfg to make 8 DC-11 devices:

set ttix en                             ; Enable DC/DL-11 device
set ttix lines=8                        ; We want 8 serial ports
set ttix address=17774000               ; Set the address to be a DC-11
set ttix carrier=dc                     ; Turn on the DC-11 carrier detect bit
set ttox 7b                             ; Set output to be 7-bit, lowercase
att ttix 5555                           ; Attach serial ports to telnet 5555

I hope we can get the change into the Simh tree.

Cheers,
	Warren