The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] re: media: Unix's Founding Fathers
@ 2004-06-26  1:54 dmr
From: dmr @ 2004-06-26  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

At this instant, there is an accessible
link at

http://www.economist.com/printedition/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=2724348

though it has some popups.  A very nice story
indeed.  I talked to the author (Konstantin Kakaes)
for a couple of hours in March. He really did want
to know mostly about the kind of things the article
talks about, and though the PR guy had probably told
him that I wouldn't get into things like SCO, in fact
that wasn't what he was interested in.

	Dennis

* [TUHS] re: media: Unix's Founding Fathers
@ 2004-06-26  4:02 ` Kurt Wall
From: Kurt Wall @ 2004-06-26  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

In a 0.6K blaze of typing glory, dmr at plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
> At this instant, there is an accessible
> link at
>
> http://www.economist.com/printedition/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=2724348
>
> though it has some popups.  A very nice story
> indeed.  I talked to the author (Konstantin Kakaes)
> for a couple of hours in March. He really did want
> to know mostly about the kind of things the article
> talks about, and though the PR guy had probably told
> him that I wouldn't get into things like SCO, in fact
> that wasn't what he was interested in.

A very nice piece, indeed. It is refreshingly free from breathless
adoration of technology. Although such an article must note the UNIX
wars of the 80s and also the legal intriques, Kakaes manages to steer
clear of moribund, tired prose on the subject. Nicely done.

Kurt
--
"This process can check if this value is zero, and if it is, it does
something child-like."

* [TUHS] re: media: Unix's Founding Fathers
@ 2004-06-28  2:00 ` Wesley Parish
From: Wesley Parish @ 2004-06-28  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm impressed at how successful the writer is at getting to the point.

A frightening number of scribblers in that neck of the woods - "economics/etc" -
need something frightfully close to "open-cranium mining" to get even simple
technical concepts.

Wesley Parish

Quoting "dmr at plan9.bell-labs.com" <dmr at plan9.bell-labs.com>:

> At this instant, there is an accessible
> link at
>
> http://www.economist.com/printedition/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=2724348
>
> though it has some popups. A very nice story
> indeed. I talked to the author (Konstantin Kakaes)
> for a couple of hours in March. He really did want
> to know mostly about the kind of things the article
> talks about, and though the PR guy had probably told
> him that I wouldn't get into things like SCO, in fact
> that wasn't what he was interested in.
>
> 	Dennis

"Sharpened hands are happy hands.
"Brim the tinfall with mirthful bands"
- A Deepness in the Sky, Vernor Vinge

"I me.  Shape middled me.  I would come out into hot!"
I from the spicy that day was overcasked mockingly - it's a symbol of the
other horizon. - emacs : meta x dissociated-press