The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Good luck Warren!
@ 2009-06-18 19:01 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2009-06-18 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Warren's also giving a birds-of-a-feather session at USENIX
this evening at 2000.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON
(San Diego CA)

* [TUHS] Good luck Warren!
       [not found]   ` <Pine.BSI.4.64.0906191633211.14634@malasada.lava.net>
@ 2009-06-20 16:13     ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2009-06-20 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 04:34:22PM -1000, Tim Newsham wrote:
> I just got to watch the video (slow download) and it looks
> like the talk went very well!  What was the BOF like?  Did
> you get a chance to demo the system and have people poke at it?

Yes, the BOF went well, about 30 people from various vintages, a few young
Linux-types, but also old farts like Norman Wilson, Andrew Hume and Bill
Cheswick. I showed them V1 in action, but not ed as my ed skills are not
flash. Also showed V5, V7, but didn't get nsys working. Still, showed them
the nsys code. Lots of stories & anecdotes. It went for 2 hours or so,
with a few stragglers left chatting after that for another 1/2 hour. Overall
a good response.

Cheers,
	Warren

* [TUHS] Good luck Warren!
@ 2009-06-19 17:08 ` Warren Toomey
       [not found]   ` <Pine.BSI.4.64.0906191633211.14634@malasada.lava.net>
From: Warren Toomey @ 2009-06-19 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 05:41:14AM -1000, Tim Newsham wrote:
> Warren's talk on 40 years of unix is today, I believe.  Good luck!
> Let us know how it goes.

It went well, as did the BoF later that night where we had about 30
people with a few old farts but mostly young-uns. I showed them V1
running, as well as nsys and V7.

Video of my presentation is here:
http://minnie.tuhs.org/Z/toomey.mov

Paper: http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix09/tech/full_papers/toomey/toomey.pdf
Slides: http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix09/tech/slides/toomey.pdf

Cheers,
	Warren

* [TUHS] Good luck Warren!
@ 2009-06-18 18:14 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2009-06-18 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 05:41:14AM -1000, Tim Newsham wrote:
> Warren's talk on 40 years of unix is today, I believe.  Good luck!
> Let us know how it goes.

Yes, 4pm San Diego localtime today. Thanks. I'll try to do an audio
recording as I go & will put it up soon.

Cheers,
	Warren

* [TUHS] Good luck Warren!
@ 2009-06-18 15:41 Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2009-06-18 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Warren's talk on 40 years of unix is today, I believe.  Good luck!
Let us know how it goes.

Tim Newsham
http://www.thenewsh.com/~newsham/