The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS]  Happy Programmers' Day!
@ 2015-09-12 21:49 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2015-09-12 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Horsfall:

  Today is The Day of the Programmer, being the 0x100'th day of the year.

===

Are you sure you want to use that radix as your standard?
You risk putting a hex on our profession.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* [TUHS] Happy Programmers' Day!
@ 2015-09-16  2:13 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2015-09-16  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

>   Today is The Day of the Programmer, being the 0x100'th day of the year.

Still further off topic, but it reminds me of a Y2K incident circa 1960.
Our IBM 7090 had been fitted with a homegrown time-of-day clock (no, big
blue did not build such into their machines back then). The most significant
bits of the clock registered the day of the year. On day 0x100 the clock
went negative and the system went wild.

Doug

* [TUHS] Happy Programmers' Day!
@ 2015-09-12 21:26 Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2015-09-12 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Today is The Day of the Programmer, being the 0x100'th day of the year.
Take a bow, all programmers...

Did you know that it's an official professional holiday in Russia?

 I'll support shark-culling when they have been observed walking on dry land.