The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Links to relevant Unix Usenet newgroups?
@ 2016-01-24 22:57 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2016-01-24 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Diomidis Spinellis:

  The articles go way back.

====

They certainly do.  For example, the 1981 origin of a certain
USENET-culture sideshow is there:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/net.suicide/9hh3JbbZm-U

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* [TUHS] Links to relevant Unix Usenet newgroups?
@ 2016-01-28 22:36   ` Random832
From: Random832 @ 2016-01-28 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016, at 23:25, Warren Toomey wrote:
> Below is a list of newsgroups that I'm concentrating on. Where
> can I find a short description of each newsgroup?

Try net.news.group or net.announce.newusers (at least, that's what
they're called in the old-names era) Speaking of the great renaming,
would it be worthwhile to merge groups that existed on both sides of the
gap under different names?

* [TUHS] Links to relevant Unix Usenet newgroups?
@ 2016-01-28  6:02   ` Jacob Goense
From: Jacob Goense @ 2016-01-28  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2016-01-28 05:25, Warren Toomey wrote:
> Below is a list of newsgroups that I'm concentrating on. Where
> can I find a short description of each newsgroup? The ones with
> descriptions came from the postings in mod.newslists.

The most authoritative source would be the active file and control
messages archive at ftp.isc.org.

* [TUHS] Links to relevant Unix Usenet newgroups?
@ 2016-01-28  4:35   ` Charles Anthony
From: Charles Anthony @ 2016-01-28  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 8:25 PM, Warren Toomey <wkt at tuhs.org> wrote:

> Below is a list of newsgroups that I'm concentrating on. Where
> can I find a short description of each newsgroup? The ones with
> descriptions came from the postings in mod.newslists.
>
> [Normally I wouldn't send anyone to Google Groups]

If you go to google groups and enter the newsgroup name in the search bar,
the results will include a short description of the group. I don't know the
origin of the descriptions, but they seem correct.

-- Charles
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] Links to relevant Unix Usenet newgroups?
@ 2016-01-28  4:25 ` Warren Toomey
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Warren Toomey @ 2016-01-28  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 01:56:28PM +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
> Hi all, does anybody know of on-line historical Usenet archives that
> I can link to ...

So I've taken the UTZoo Usenet archive from
https://archive.org/download/utzoo-wiseman-usenet-archive, repacked
everything into per-newsgroup files. I've worked out how to use
the Mailman archiver to generate a web-readable archive for each
newsgroup.

Below is a list of newsgroups that I'm concentrating on. Where
can I find a short description of each newsgroup? The ones with
descriptions came from the postings in mod.newslists.

Thanks, Warren

alt.sources
alt.sources.d
alt.sources.patches
alt.sys.sun
clari.nb.unix
comp.bugs.2bsd          Reports of UNIX* version 2BSD related bugs.
comp.bugs.4bsd          Reports of UNIX version 4BSD related bugs.
comp.bugs.4bsd.ucb-fixes
comp.bugs.sys5          Reports of USG (System III, V, etc.) bugs.
comp.lang.c             Discussion about C.
comp.org.uniforum
comp.org.usenix         USENIX Association events and announcements.
comp.org.usrgroup
comp.os.eunice          The SRI Eunice system.
comp.sources.3b1
comp.sources.bugs
comp.sources.misc
comp.sources.reviewed
comp.sources.sun
comp.sources.unix
comp.sources.x
comp.std.c
comp.std.unix
comp.sys.3b1
comp.sys.amiga.unix
comp.sys.att            Discussions about AT&T microcomputers
comp.sys.pyramid
comp.sys.sgi
comp.sys.sun
comp.sys.tahoe
comp.unix
comp.unix.admin
comp.unix.aix
comp.unix.amiga
comp.unix.aux
comp.unix.cray
comp.unix.i386
comp.unix.internals
comp.unix.large
comp.unix.microport
comp.unix.misc
comp.unix.msdos
comp.unix.programmer
comp.unix.questions     UNIX neophytes group.
comp.unix.shell
comp.unix.sysv286
comp.unix.sysv386
comp.unix.ultrix
comp.unix.wizards       Discussions, bug reports, and fixes on and for UNIX.
comp.unix.xenix         Discussion about the Xenix OS.
comp.unix.xenix.misc
comp.unix.xenix.sco
fa.unix-cpm
fa.unix-wizards
mod.computers.pyramid
mod.computers.sun
mod.os.unix
mod.sources             Moderated postings of public domain sources.
mod.sources.doc
mod.std.c
mod.std.unix
mod.unix                Moderated discussion of Unix features and bugs.
net.2bsd-bugs
net.4bsd-bugs
net.bugs                General bug reports and fixes.
net.bugs.2bsd
net.bugs.4bsd
net.bugs.usg
net.bugs.v7
net.eunice              The SRI Eunice system.
net.lang.c
net.sources             For the posting of software packages & documentation.
net.sources.bugs
net.unix                UNIX neophytes group.
net.unix-wizards        Discussions, bug reports, and fixes on and for UNIX.
net.usenix              USENIX Association events and announcements.
net.v7-bugs
net.v7bugs
net.xbsd
unix-pc.bugs
unix-pc.general
unix-pc.sources
unix-pc.test
unix-pc.uucp
usrgroup.technical
uw.unix

* [TUHS] Links to relevant Unix Usenet newgroups?
@ 2016-01-24 18:44       ` Ronald Natalie
From: Ronald Natalie @ 2016-01-24 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/comp.unix.wizards <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/comp.unix.wizards>

Note that it is comp.unix.wizards where as the prior group was net.unix-wizards because it took the name from the gatewayed mailing list UNIX-WIZARDS that we hosted at BRL (Mike maintained that one).
From: Jacob Goense @ 2016-01-24 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2016-01-24 14:58, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> Funny; I can't find unix-wizards there.  Did the suits shut it down, or
> is
> my ataxia worse than usual?

Under usenet-net there is:
https://archive.org/download/usenet-net/net.unix-wizards.mbox.zip

* [TUHS] Links to relevant Unix Usenet newgroups?
@ 2016-01-24 15:50       ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2016-01-24 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Warren Toomey scripsit:

> Thanks. I saw that already, but the messages are infected with new headers:

Piffle.  What kind of proper Usenet software balks at a few custom headers?
If you don't jib at X-Eric-Conspiracy, certainly these can do no harm.  :-)

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
Verbogeny is one of the pleasurettes of a creatific thinkerizer.
        --Peter da Silva

* [TUHS] Links to relevant Unix Usenet newgroups?
@ 2016-01-24 13:58     ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2016-01-24 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2016-01-24 12:34       ` Jacob Goense
From: Jacob Goense @ 2016-01-24 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2016-01-24 12:26, Warren Toomey wrote:
> so I'll work on the UTZoo stuff for now.

For inspiration see http://olduse.net/ and
https://joeyh.name/blog/oldusenet/
Love what he did with it.

* [TUHS] Links to relevant Unix Usenet newgroups?
@ 2016-01-24 11:26     ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2016-01-24 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 12:08:23PM +0100, Jacob Goense wrote:
> They dumped it to archive.org in some mbox format.
> https://archive.org/details/usenethistorical
>
> Mere grepping through it beats the monstrocity that is google groups.

Thanks. I saw that already, but the messages are infected with new headers:

so I'll work on the UTZoo stuff for now.

Does anybody know if Henry Spencer is still around? Does he know about
this mailing list? It would be nice to have him here.

Cheers, Warren

* [TUHS] Links to relevant Unix Usenet newgroups?
@ 2016-01-24 11:08   ` Jacob Goense
From: Jacob Goense @ 2016-01-24 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2016-01-24  8:39     ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2016-01-24  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 10:19:37AM +0200, Diomidis Spinellis wrote:
> Google seems to have folded the Usenet archives into its "Google Groups"
> service.  Here links to some relevant groups:

Urgh.

I'm currently unpacking Henry Spencer's Usenet Archive
(from https://archive.org/details/utzoo-wiseman-usenet-archive)
and repacking it into individual newsgroups. Not sure what I'll do next.

Cheers, Warren

* [TUHS] Links to relevant Unix Usenet newgroups?
@ 2016-01-24  8:19   ` Diomidis Spinellis
From: Diomidis Spinellis @ 2016-01-24  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Google seems to have folded the Usenet archives into its "Google Groups"
service.  Here links to some relevant groups:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/net.unix
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/mod.unix
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/comp.unix
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/comp.unix.bsd
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/comp.unix.sys5.r4
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/comp.unix.i386
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/comp.unix.programmer
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/comp.unix.wizards
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/net.sources
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/mod.sources
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/comp.sources.unix
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/comp.sources.misc

The articles go way back.  Here is for example Keith Bostic posting a
public domain getopt(3) implementation in mod.sources in 1984.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/mod.sources/2FNKQgL81d0

The browsing interface is an insult to Usenet News (threads are now
"topics", messages are "posts"), the web, and accessibility (topics
magically appear at the bottom of the page as you scroll down).  I also
haven't been able to search by message-id.  However, all the material
seems to be there, and with some effort you can even get it in the
original raw form.  Here is Dennis Ritchie's famous "Noalias must go"
message.

https://groups.google.com/forum/message/raw?msg=comp.lang.c/K0Cz2s9il3E/YDyo_xaRG5kJ

@ 2016-01-24  7:06 ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2016-01-24  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
---

* [TUHS] Links to relevant Unix Usenet newgroups?
@ 2016-01-24  3:56 Warren Toomey