The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [Unix-jun72] Help needed with my mkfs.c
@ 2008-05-04  9:02 Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2008-05-04  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've just checked in my latest tools/mkfs.c into the svn repository. Could
a few people eyeball it and look for errors. Even better, if you can eyeball
the working rf0.dsk image and compare it to an image made by my mkfs.c.

At present, I can make an rk0.dsk image with mkfs. I can run up a warm kernel
and try to mount the rk0 image as /usr, with my /tmp/a.out. But when I try
to chdir /usr, I get a Bad directory message.

So something is screwy with the rk0.dsk that my mkfs.c is making.

Thanks,
	Warren

P.S typescript of warm boot:

:login: root
root
# check					# check indicates rk0.dsk is OK
RF:
 119 files
   6 large
   6 indirect
 255 used
 399 free
 336 missing

RK:
  43 files
   0 large
   0 indirect
   2 used
4784 free
   0 missing
# /tmp/a.out				# I try to mount it
/dev/rk0# chdir /usr			# but the chdir fails
Bad directory
# du /usr				# du /usr shows no results
# df /usr				# and df shows it is empty
0
# df					# but df shows the free space on RF/RK
399+4784

* [Unix-jun72] Help needed with my mkfs.c
@ 2008-05-04 13:06 ` Brad Parker
From: Brad Parker @ 2008-05-04 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Warren Toomey wrote:
>/dev/rk0# chdir /usr			# but the chdir fails
>Bad directory

I noticed that after the mount the directory bits where not set on the
mount point (which I thought was odd).

If the resulting node does not have the directory bits set, you can
get "Bad directory" from the shell.

something in the mode bits in the root of the fs?

(I have not looked at the fs structure, but I'll take a look today since
it's raining here and I won't be watching soccer or baseball)

-brad