The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Belated Introduction
@ 2021-12-07 17:28 Alexander Jacocks via TUHS
From: Alexander Jacocks via TUHS @ 2021-12-07 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Unix Heritage Society

Spurred on by Bryan, I thought I should properly introduce myself:

I am a fairly young Unix devotee, having gotten my start with System V on a Wang word processing system (believe it or not, they made one!), at my mother’s office, in the late 1980s. My first personal system, which ran SLS Linux, came about in 1992.

I am a member of the Vintage Computing Federation, and have given talks and made exhibits on Unix history at VCF’s museum, in Wall, New Jersey. I have also had the pleasure to show Brian Kernighan and Ken Thompson, who are two of my computing heroes, my exhibit on the origins of BSD Unix on the Intel 386. I learned C from Brian’s book, as probably did many others here.

I have spent my entire professional career supporting Unix, in some form or another. I started with SunOS at the National Institutes of Health, in Bethesda, Maryland, and moved on to Solaris, HP-UX, SCO, and finally Linux. I worked for AT&T, in Virginia, in the early 2000s, but there were few vestiges of Unix present, other than some 3b1 and 3b2 monitors and keyboards.

I current work for Red Hat, in Tyson’s Corner, Virginia, as a principal sales engineer, where I spend most of my time teaching and presenting at conferences, both in person and virtual.

Thank you to everyone here who created the tools that have enabled my career and love of computing!

- Alexander Jacocks

only message in thread, other threads:[~2021-12-07 17:39 UTC | newest]