The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Re: Maintenance mode on AIX
       [not found] <zpdIicuX7AbN-y6hYho0eLOnHgzRs4iHa1UD6bxUyiTZhqZkg3Ha8TKWV ASxWkDZitFw0JIopRVh7BRC2PzLFrF_Gjsb2yCi-uxJ3Yr3AtE=@protonmail.com>
@ 2023-01-18 20:04 ` Joseph J. Mankoski ***PSI***
From: Joseph J. Mankoski ***PSI*** @ 2023-01-18 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: segaloco, tuhs

Hello --

        Regarding "appliance-ization" (locking down / dumbing down) of commercially-available computer systems, and returning to the history of Unix (in the context of our current era), I am reminded of Ken Thompson's (excellent and humorous) panel presentation at the ACM Turing 100 conference I attended in 2012, imagining Alan Turing being brought to our time and given a current-generation computer system, etc.

        The webcast links for the "Systems Architecture" session, etc., on the main conference site, https://turing100.acm.org/, seem to be broken, however the video at this link works for me:

        https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/2322176.2322182

        (Ken's part starts at ~0:09:28.)

        Cheers,
                                ***PSI***
                                <<<psi@valis.com>>>

tuhs-request@tuhs.org writes:
[...]
>  Message: 1
>  Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 17:08:00 +0000
>  From: segaloco <segaloco@protonmail.com>
>  Subject: [TUHS] Re: Maintenance mode on AIX
>  To: Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com>
>  Cc: tuhs@tuhs.org
>
>  Apple's unreasonable hardening has been the latest deterent to my ever wanting to use macOS as a personal driver. I've got a Mac as my daily driver for work, it can happily stay with work until I can decide how the filesystem is laid out and what folders I, as the root user, can and can't interact with from user land. I own my machine, not Apple.
>
>  - Matt G.

[...]
>  ------------------------------
[...]

* [TUHS] Re: Maintenance mode on AIX
@ 2023-01-19  3:56   ` steve jenkin
From: steve jenkin @ 2023-01-19  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS; +Cc: Joseph J. Mankoski ***PSI***

To their credit, ACM have make the video available on Youtube

	<https://youtu.be/dsMKJKTOte0?t=551>

Link includes intro to Ken for those wanting brevity.

--
Steve Jenkin

mailto:sjenkin@canb.auug.org.au http://members.tip.net.au/~sjenkin

* [TUHS] Re: Maintenance mode on AIX
@ 2023-01-19 14:25                   ` Liam Proven
From: Liam Proven @ 2023-01-19 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On Wed, 18 Jan 2023 at 18:22, Will Senn <will.senn@gmail.com> wrote:

> Wow, we're all over the place on this thread.

True!

> I stopped updating my Mac with Mojave.

Me too. I have some irreplaceable 32-bit apps.

> I would prefer my OS to be under my control and secure my information, for me.

I agree.

*But* the thing is this, and I am theorizing here.

Apple is trying to move to Arm-ISA Macs with its own very highly
integrated chipset. This is imposing some issues.

E.g. The M1 Macs can't boot from an external device if the internal
one fails. You can't just put in a USB key and start from it. You
can't just remove a failed drive, replace it, format it, reinstall the
OS and keep going.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/437022/can-apple-silicon-based-mac-boot-from-unauthorized-external-drive

They seem to lack the old 68K/PowerPC/x86 fairly clean separation
between firmware and OS on a disk.

They are, pretty much, the whole computer on a single SOC.

The first SOC was the ARM250: CPU + GPU + memory controller.

Then FPU and bus controllers and interfaces and things moved on board too.

Now, the RAM is on board, and the SSD is also built in if not on the
same die. It is extremely hard to replace/upgrade them, e.g.
https://www.macrumors.com/2021/04/06/m1-mac-ram-and-ssd-upgrades-possible/

In a way the Arm Macs are sort of like iPads with external screens. It
is also notable that there is _still_ no Arm-based Mac Pro: I don't
think they've found a way to make their new architecture as modular,
with external GPUs and an expansion bus. I suspect they won't be able
to and eventually the Intel kit will quietly disappear with no direct
replacement.

So I think that Apple is trying to make the OS as *extremely* robust
and tamper-proof as they can, because if that soldered-in-place disk
gets scrambled or compromised, then the expensive hardware is
basically toast.

I don't like it either and I don't want an Arm-powered Mac for now...
but I sort of understand what they are trying to do, I think.

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lproven@cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lproven@gmail.com

* [TUHS] Re: Maintenance mode on AIX
@ 2023-01-18 20:50               ` Brad Spencer
From: Brad Spencer @ 2023-01-18 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Arno Griffioen via TUHS <tuhs@tuhs.org> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 08:38:40AM -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
>> Someone once told me that if they had physical access to a Unix box, they
>> would get root.  That has been true forever and it's even more true today,
>> pull the root disk, mount it on Linux, drop your ssh keys in there or add
>> a no password root or setuid a shell, whatever, if you can put your hands
>> on it, you can get in.
>
> Until a few years ago, I would definitely agree. Done that regularly
> in the past. (and worked on lots of network gear too...)
>
> However..
>
> Nowadays with a little effort you can make a bootable Linux machine that
> uses either a passphrase or some external key/dongle/fingerprint/etc.
> to unlock an encrypted root fs and additional filesystems.
>
> If you don't have those credentials, then it's going to be pretty tricky to
> access as you simply can't even access any of the encrypted filesystems to
> start with.
>
> Yes, you could probably get the initrd booted with a root shell and
> then wipe the machine/disk to then do what you want, but the original
> install is getting pretty hard to jump into with boot tricks these days.
>
> 								Bye, Arno.

Yes++ ...  I did something simular with NetBSD a few years ago.  I
booted a removable drive that asked for the passphrase to decrypt the
real root filesystem..  the drive was removed and stored separately from
the laptop when at rest.  Today, I don't even need a removable drive any
more, a ramdisk is attached to the kernel and unpacks itself upon boot
and that asks for the passphrase.  The root filesystem itself is more or
less completely encrypted.  Not quite full end to end, but very close.
All you could really do is destroy the system, which may be good enough
for some, but getting the information off of the encrypted filesystem
would be hard.

--
Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org

* [TUHS] Re: Maintenance mode on AIX
@ 2023-01-18 20:34             ` Arno Griffioen via TUHS
From: Arno Griffioen via TUHS @ 2023-01-18 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

@ 2023-01-18 19:50                   ` David Barto
From: David Barto @ 2023-01-18 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Will Senn; +Cc: segaloco, tuhs

I think that the situation with MacOS is an (over) reaction to viruses, worms, and the end users themselves.
In order to make sure that the normal user doesn’t do something silly to their system Apple has wound up restricting what the more advanced and knowledgeable user can do.

I’m in an in-between camp. I like to install what I want and as long as I can do that, MacOS will work for me. And I like that Apple is working to stop the “bad guys” as much as possible.

When installing what I want stops happening then I’ll stop upgrading. Until then I’m willing to ride the Apple train.

	David

@ 2023-01-18 17:21                 ` Will Senn
From: Will Senn @ 2023-01-18 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: segaloco, Clem Cole; +Cc: tuhs

@ 2023-01-18 17:08               ` segaloco via TUHS
From: segaloco via TUHS @ 2023-01-18 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem Cole; +Cc: tuhs

@ 2023-01-18 16:59             ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2023-01-18 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy; +Cc: tuhs

@ 2023-01-18 16:38           ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2023-01-18 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ron Natalie; +Cc: tuhs

On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 04:27:50PM +0000, Ron Natalie wrote:
> Occassionally, we???d get random other IBM hardware dropped on us.   One day
> an RS/6000 showed up.   The problem was that they didn???t give us any
> indication what the logins were (let alone the root password).   Being the
> long time security ???investigator??? that I was I started poking around at
> the thing while waiting for IBM to call me back.    The thing had a key
> switch that switched you from power OFF to NORMAL ot a WRENCH icon
> (maintenance mode).    So I powered it up in the wrench mode.   The thing
> booted up Unix but rather than a shell gave some maintenance program.    I
> poked around at the options hoping for something that would be useful for me
> without luck.   One option was to view the documentation so I brought that
> up and it displayed some text.    The neat thing (for me) was that it used
> ???more??? to paginate it.   Sure enough, when I got to the end of the first
> page, I could just hit ! at the prompt and get a root shell.    It was then
> pretty easy to get the machine set up to our liking.

Someone once told me that if they had physical access to a Unix box, they
would get root.  That has been true forever and it's even more true today,
pull the root disk, mount it on Linux, drop your ssh keys in there or add
a no password root or setuid a shell, whatever, if you can put your hands
on it, you can get in.
--
---
Larry McVoy           Retired to fishing          http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/boat