The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] C reference manual
@ 2002-10-17 14:19 Aharon Robbins
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2002-10-17 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

If anyone has one of the SCO Ancient Unix licenses and a copy of the
archive that went with it, then they legally have the source to System
III.  If such a person extracts sys3.tar.gz and looks in usr/src/man/docs
they'll find a file named `c_man' with the actual manual in it.  I quote:

	.SH "1.  INTRODUCTION"
	.PP
	This manual
	.FS
	.ps +1
	\(dg This manual is reprinted, with minor changes, from
	.I "The C Programming Language"
	by Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie,
	Prentice Hall, Inc., 1978.
	.ps
	.FE
	describes the C language

What the legalities are of redistributing this, and/or generating
postscript from it, are, I don't know.  Similar questions apply
to scanning in the ref man from a copy of K&R-I, which is now
out of print. (I wish Caldera had included System III in their
releasing of Ancient Unix. Sigh.)

I hope this helps, some.

Arnold

P.S. Completely unrelated, but I find it really cool how much of
the System III doc refers to C and Unix on the System/370...

> Subject: Re: [TUHS] C reference manual
> From: norman at nose.cs.utoronto.ca (Norman Wilson)
> To: tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org
> Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 09:13:22 -0400
>
> To forestall those who haven't looked: the good news is that
> the papers from Volume 2 of the manual were included in /usr/doc
> on the V7 tape; the bad news is that the C Reference Manual was
> omitted.  Here is /usr/doc/cman in its entirety:
>
>   Sorry, but for copyright reasons, the source
>   for the C Reference Manual is not distributed.
>
> Presumably the problem was that the Reference Manual was published
> as part of the a real book in 1978.
>
> I forget just what Tony was after in the first place, but maybe
> some of the stuff on Dennis Ritchie's home page will help:
> 	http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/who/dmr/index.html
> In particular the Sixth Edtion version of the C Reference Manual
> is there.
>
> Norman Wilson
> Toronto ON

* [TUHS] C reference manual, another one
@ 2002-10-18 11:26 ` asbesto
From: asbesto @ 2002-10-18 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Il Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 04:19:12PM +0200, Aharon Robbins rigurgitava:

> If anyone has one of the SCO Ancient Unix licenses and a copy of the
> archive that went with it, then they legally have the source to System

well,

we at freaknet medialab have a strange copy of a TROFF book. here's
the intro:

----------------------snip--------------------
.fp 3 G
.TL
C Reference Manual
.AU
Dennis M. Ritchie
.AI
.MH
.sp
May 1, 1977
.PP
.SH
.ti 0
1.  Introduction
.LP
C is a computer language which offers
a rich selection of operators and data types
and the ability to impose useful structure
on both control flow and data.
All the basic operations and data objects
-------------------------snip------------------

maybe can be useful for historical purpose ? what about the (C)
and the rights about this ?

that come from Martin Guy. can we publish it ? it's useful ?

om mani padme hum,

--
[asbesto : freaknet medialab : radio#cybernet : GPG key on  keyservers]
[ MAIL ATTACH, SPAM, HTML, WORD, and msgs larger than 95K > /dev/null ]

@ 2002-10-17 10:40   ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2002-10-17 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article by Ian King:
> I have an original (in print) of the C reference manual from Unix 6th Ed, as
> part of a multipart binder titled "Documents for Use With the Unix
> Timesharing System", as well as the "UNIX Programmer's Manual", which is a
> print copy of the man pages.  I could probably scan the C ref in my copious
> spare time, if you're not in a hurry.  Warren, do you want to archive stuff
> like this?  -- Ian

Oh yes!
	Warren

* [TUHS] C reference manual
@ 2002-10-17  9:45 ` Tony Finch
From: Tony Finch @ 2002-10-17  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks to those who offered copies of the 6th Edition C reference manual,
but I was after something from the 7th Edition or even later. (There's
already a copy of the 6th Edition doc sources in the TUHS archive.)

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch <dot at dotat.at> http://dotat.at/
SOUTH FITZROY: NORTH BACKING SOUTHEAST 4 OR 5, OCCASIONALLY 6, BECOMING

* [TUHS] C reference manual
@ 2002-10-17  7:40 helbig
From: helbig @ 2002-10-17  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallo,
Most, if not all, of the V6-docs was distributed with V6 as troff sources.
At
	http://www.ba-stuttgart.de/~helbig/os/
you'll find postscript versions of these docs.

Have fun,
Wolfgang