The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] license
@ 2002-11-04  5:02 Marco Robado
From: Marco Robado @ 2002-11-04  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, I am curently writing an article about the history of open source. I
know all you can find on the Internet about the history of  unix and BSD
and the conflict between these two when BSD decided to opensource. But I
could never find a copy of both licenses in the early days. I would like
to give examples of a license on which the source of a software was
delivered in the 70's. I browsed thru the sources of  unix v5 and the
only copyright I found was in the code of the c compiler and it just
stated that it was copyrighted by Bell labs in 1972. I would think that
there was some kind of hard copy copyright that came with the tape on
wich the sources were originaly delivered. For BSD I  found in the
source of 2.11BSD a reference to "The Berkeley software license
Agreement" but I don't have a copy of that document. I would appreciate
if someone would communicate with me by e-mail or thru this list to give
me some info about all that.

-M.R.-

* [TUHS] license
@ 2002-11-04  5:43 ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2002-11-04  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday,  4 November 2002 at  0:02:40 -0500, Marco Robado wrote:
> Hi, I am curently writing an article about the history of open source. I
> know all you can find on the Internet about the history of  unix and BSD
> and the conflict between these two when BSD decided to opensource. But I
> could never find a copy of both licenses in the early days. I would like
> to give examples of a license on which the source of a software was
> delivered in the 70's. I browsed thru the sources of  unix v5 and the
> only copyright I found was in the code of the c compiler and it just
> stated that it was copyrighted by Bell labs in 1972. I would think that
> there was some kind of hard copy copyright that came with the tape on
> wich the sources were originaly delivered. For BSD I  found in the
> source of 2.11BSD a reference to "The Berkeley software license
> Agreement" but I don't have a copy of that document. I would appreciate
> if someone would communicate with me by e-mail or thru this list to give
> me some info about all that.

I'll leave it to others to describe the early days.  The Berkeley
Software License Agreement, generally called the BSD license, is
pretty straightforward, though.  Take a look at
http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/license.html for the original
copyright, under which 4.4BSD was released, and at
http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/freebsd-license.html for the current
BSD license.

Greg
--
Finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key

* [TUHS] license
@ 2002-11-04  6:05 Michael Sokolov
From: Michael Sokolov @ 2002-11-04  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog at lemis.com> wrote:

> I'll leave it to others to describe the early days.  The Berkeley
> Software License Agreement, generally called the BSD license, is
> pretty straightforward, though.

Wrong. The Berkeley Software License Agreement and what is known today as the
"BSD license" are two different things. The latter is the liberal header
Berkeley started prepending around 1988 to files that were totally theirs
without any Bell Labs code. The former was the paper license that went with the
4.3BSD and earlier tapes where Bell, Bell/Berkeley, and pure Berkeley parts
were not distinguished and the entire system could be used only by holders of
UNIX source licenses from AT&T. Although I've never seen it myself, the
Berkeley Software License Agreement could not have been like the liberal
header, it surely had stuff in it telling you that if you share it with anyone,
you must first verify that the recipient has a UNIX source license from AT&T,
etc.

MS

* [TUHS] license
@ 2002-11-04  5:49 Michael Sokolov
From: Michael Sokolov @ 2002-11-04  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marco Robado <mar.roba at videotron.ca> wrote:

> I would like
> to give examples of a license on which the source of a software was
> delivered in the 70's.

I have the paper license for System V issued by AT&T to Case Western Reserve
University, the famous UNIX source license. I have it buried somewhere in my
papers. If you want it, I can dig it up and fax or snail-mail you a copy.
(Sorry, no scanning. I use the computing technology from the days in question
exclusively.)

> For BSD I  found in the
> source of 2.11BSD a reference to "The Berkeley software license
> Agreement"

Yep, same for 4BSD.

> but I don't have a copy of that document.

I don't either.

MS