The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] raise of interrupt level necessary
@ 2002-12-07 22:33 Wolfgang Helbig
From: Wolfgang Helbig @ 2002-12-07 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

While studying the V6 kernel, I search for some rules as when to raise
the interrupt priority level (IPL). I came up with something like this:
A kernel process needs to raise the IPL if a change of data must be atomic and might
be accessed (not necessarily changed) by an IRS.

In light of this rule, some raising of interrupts seem unnecessary:
- In m40.s changes of the user space segmentation registers are bracketed by raising
and lowering the IPL, although these registers are never accessed by an ISR.

- Likewise, in m40.s, just before the trap routine checks the runrun flag and
restores r0, r1 and the user stackpointer, it raises the IPL. I can't see what
possibly should go wrong, if being interrupted while restoring the values.

I'd appreciate any help from someone with more experience in kernel programming.

Greetings,

Wolfgang Helbig

only message in thread, other threads:[~2002-12-07 22:33 UTC | newest]