The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Status of, and licensing of the so called "Ancient UNIX" products
@ 2003-02-26 20:50 Gregg C Levine
From: Gregg C Levine @ 2003-02-26 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello again from Gregg C Levine
I know I asked this question early on, and I remember, and have the
original answer filed someplace.... But that was about a year ago.
Since then I had heard a rumor that the current Copyright Owner of the
"Ancient UNIX" products had in fact re-released the products under the
exact same license that both Minix, and BSD use.

 In fact they could called a freely releasable product. Can someone on
this list confirm this? On a different list, for a different emulator,
to which that I belong, we there, are having a discussion regarding
the status of these products. I agreed with a correspondent that the
BSD ones, such as 2.11, and 2.9 were in fact freely available, pending
a response that is.

I am suggesting there, that someone should investigate porting either
V5, or V6, or even V7 to that platform. And someone naturally is
making that complaint. Someone else is also claiming that Amdahl did
just that, and sold it under the name UTS. But as you might guess, it
is not freely available.
-------------------
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net
"Use the Force, Luke."  Obi-Wan Kenobi

* [TUHS] Status of, and licensing of the so called "Ancient UNIX" products
@ 2003-02-26 22:44 ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2003-02-26 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, 26 February 2003 at 15:50:06 -0500, Gregg C Levine wrote:
> Hello again from Gregg C Levine
> I know I asked this question early on, and I remember, and have the
> original answer filed someplace.... But that was about a year ago.
> Since then I had heard a rumor that the current Copyright Owner of the
> "Ancient UNIX" products had in fact re-released the products under the
> exact same license that both Minix, and BSD use.

That's not possible.  The licenses aren't the same.

> In fact they could called a freely releasable product. Can someone
> on this list confirm this?

Yes.  It went around on this list at the time.  I'll attach the
message again below.

Greg
--
Finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key
Please note: we block mail from major spammers, notably yahoo.com.