The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [pups] 2BSD build problem - unix.o not too big
@ 2003-03-17 16:38 Steven M. Schultz
From: Steven M. Schultz @ 2003-03-17 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi -

> From: David Evans <dfevans at bbcr.uwaterloo.ca>
>
>   I don't recall seeing any overlay info when I set up my 11/73 back in
> January.  I even asked the dreaded overlay FAQ here!  :)  I was also at 431.

	Ok, I probably only thought about including the writeup in the
	documentation.   I know I did write up a moderately lengthy
	article about dealing with the overlay setup in response to a
	problem someone was having.  I just never went and incorporated it
	into the setup/installatino documentation ;(

	One thing, obvious now that I think of it, I forgot to mention last
	night is that "too big for type 431" can also happen if the D space
	total is too large.   If 'MAXUSERS' is set too high for example
	then more than 48KB of D space will be needed and the linker will
	complain.    Look at the sum of the DATA and BSS segments (it might
	be necessary to sum up the .o files individually) - if it's pushing
	48KB then that's the problem.

	Cheers,
	Steven Schultz

* [pups] 2.11BSD "make unix" aborts Error 141
@ 2003-03-19  2:24 ` Jonathan Engdahl
From: Jonathan Engdahl @ 2003-03-19  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm running essentially the CURLY 2.11BSD system with networking on a
PDP-11/53. When I go to rebuild unix with "make all", the build will run for
a while, then quit with "Error 141". If I type "make all" again, it keeps on
going for a while. After several iterations of this, eventually the make
completes, and the system will boot the result. What is this "Error 141"
business?

I've not looked for the cause of this yet. I'm being lazy, and hoping
someone has seen this before and can give me a quick answer, before I go
digging.

--
Jonathan Engdahl
http://users.safeaccess.com/engdahl

"The things which are seen are temporary,
 but the things which are not seen are eternal."  II Cor. 4:18

* [pups] 2BSD build problem - unix.o not too big
@ 2003-03-17 14:45 ` David Evans
From: David Evans @ 2003-03-17 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Evans          (NeXTMail/MIME OK)             dfevans at bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
Ph.D. Candidate, Computer/Synth Junkie     http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/
University of Waterloo         "Default is the value selected by the composer
Ontario, Canada           overridden by your command." - Roland TR-707 Manual

* [pups] 2BSD build problem - unix.o not too big
@ 2003-03-17  7:36 Steven M. Schultz
From: Steven M. Schultz @ 2003-03-17  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "Ian King" <iking at killthewabbit.org>
> I'm building a 2.11BSD kernel on my 11/73 (so I can include the networking
> code and put my machine on the LAN!), and I'm seeing the error "too big for
> type 431".  Through the wonders of Google, I saw your discussion of this
> error and followed your advice (from 1996!).  However, when I ask 'size

	I'd have, up to now, sworn that the overlay setup was in the
	documentation (one of the appendices) but it could well be that it's
	still off in a file somewhere in the mess I call my filesystem ;)

> unix.o', I get a size comfortably within the limits for base - 50112, well
> below the 57344 you cite.  None of the overlays exceeds 8192, and the 'total
> text' figure is well below your example, too.  FWIW, I did a 'naive build'

	Do you have any 0 length overlays?   There can't be any gaps in the
	overlay structure.

	For example, this is legal:

		overlays: 8128,7552,8000,7296,8192,7424,5824,6784,3520

	but this is not:

		overlays: 8128,7552,8000,7296,8192,0,5824,6784,3520

> first, copying GENERIC and changing a few parameters; after seeing the error
> 'text segment too big' I went through the config file with a little more
> thought and eliminated drivers I clearly didn't need (I don't have RL01/02s,

	You might need to go thru the Makefile too.  Good idea to eliminate
	drivers you don't have (save their D-space requirements) but that
	can create empty overlays and that does not work.

> for instance).  Then I started getting this error.  I did a 'make clean'
> just to be sure, but still make gives me the 'too big for type 431' error.
> (Yes, I RTFM on ld.)

	Hmmm, patch level 431 is recent enough I'd have thought to avoid
	a 'ld' problem (current is 444 but nothing recently has touched
	ld).

	What is the output from 'size unix.o'?

	Cheers,
	Steven Schultz

* [pups] 2BSD build problem - unix.o not too big
@ 2003-03-17  6:13 Ian King
From: Ian King @ 2003-03-17  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steven,

[...]

I am standing here beside myself.  :-)  And I am humbly soliciting
suggestions....  -- Ian

PS: I'm at patch level 431, per the VERSION file.