The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] SCO & Caldera?
@ 2003-03-18 22:36 Christian Groessler
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Christian Groessler @ 2003-03-18 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

On 03/12/2003 10:18:33 AM ZE10B "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" wrote:

>On Wednesday, 12 March 2003 at  9:27:13 +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
>>
>> So the new license specifically prohibits System III, whereas the
>> Ancient UNIX license implicitly permitted System III.
>
>Heh.  So we have something to show for our $100 after all :-)

Is System III somewhere in the archive for us $100 license owners?

regards,
chris

* [TUHS] SCO & Caldera?
@ 2003-03-18 22:52 ` Gregg C Levine
From: Gregg C Levine @ 2003-03-18 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello from Gregg C Levine
Have you been following all of the messages in that thread? A link was
posted, that provided an annoying click through license, which would
then provide the person who did click, with access to such items as
SYSIII, and V5, and V6, and V7. Also some odd bits, as well. And if
not, it should be in the archive. Also I can provide it.
-------------------
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net
"Use the Force, Luke."  Obi-Wan Kenobi

On
> Behalf Of Christian Groessler
> Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 5:36 PM
> To: The Unix Heritage Society
> Cc: cpg at aladdin.de
> Subject: Re: [TUHS] SCO & Caldera?
>
> Hi,
>
> On 03/12/2003 10:18:33 AM ZE10B "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" wrote:
> >
> >On Wednesday, 12 March 2003 at  9:27:13 +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
> >>
> >> So the new license specifically prohibits System III, whereas the
> >> Ancient UNIX license implicitly permitted System III.
> >
> >Heh.  So we have something to show for our $100 after all :-)
>
> Is System III somewhere in the archive for us $100 license owners?
>
> regards,
> chris

* [TUHS] SCO & Caldera?
@ 2003-03-18 23:10 ` Warren Toomey
       [not found]   ` <Pine.LNX.4.44.0303181530250.17703-100000@gladen>
From: Warren Toomey @ 2003-03-18 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 11:36:11PM +0100, Christian Groessler wrote:
> >Heh.  So we have something to show for our $100 after all :-)
> Is System III somewhere in the archive for us $100 license owners?
> chris

Yes, send me a private e-mail and we can work out a transfer process.

	Warren

* [TUHS] SCO & Caldera?
@ 2003-03-18 23:22 ` Jon Snader
From: Jon Snader @ 2003-03-18 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 11:36:11PM +0100, Christian Groessler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 03/12/2003 10:18:33 AM ZE10B "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" wrote:
> >
> >On Wednesday, 12 March 2003 at  9:27:13 +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
> >>
> >> So the new license specifically prohibits System III, whereas the
> >> Ancient UNIX license implicitly permitted System III.
> >
> >Heh.  So we have something to show for our $100 after all :-)
>
> Is System III somewhere in the archive for us $100 license owners?

System III was available even with the free Ancient UNIX license.
It was still available on the Caldera/SCO site last week, but now
I am getting 404s.  In any event, anyone with one of the old PUPS
password should legally be able to get it from PUPS if nowhere
else.

Jon Snader

* [TUHS] SCO & Caldera?
@ 2003-03-18 23:29   ` Gregg C Levine
       [not found]   ` <Pine.LNX.4.44.0303181530250.17703-100000@gladen>
From: Gregg C Levine @ 2003-03-18 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello again from Gregg C Levine
Warren, ah, I think I missed something someplace. It happens that I
was able to download it, after clicking through the license that was
presented several days ago, when the argument regarding the SCO
lawsuit was part of a thread. Does this mean that I didn't have to go
through this?
-------------------
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net
"Use the Force, Luke."  Obi-Wan Kenobi

* [TUHS] SCO & Caldera?
       [not found]   ` <Pine.LNX.4.44.0303181530250.17703-100000@gladen>
@ 2003-03-19  1:22     ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2003-03-19  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 03:31:55PM -0800, Andru Luvisi wrote:
> I don't have the $100 license, but I did get one of the click-through
> licenses.

Then I assume you would be safe to download SysIII from the SCO/Caldera page,
as long as the license covers that.

	Warren

* [TUHS] SCO & Caldera?
@ 2003-03-19  1:24     ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2003-03-19  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 06:29:44PM -0500, Gregg C Levine wrote:
> Warren, ah, I think I missed something someplace. It happens that I
> was able to download it, after clicking through the license that was
> presented several days ago, when the argument regarding the SCO
> lawsuit was part of a thread. Does this mean that I didn't have to go
> through this?

I'm saying that you can go directly to the SysIII source on Caldera's
website without agreeing to the click-through license. I e-mailed them
about this many many months ago, but they obviously haven't fixed it yet.

	Warren

* [TUHS] SCO & Caldera?
@ 2003-03-12  6:43   ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2003-03-12  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog at lemis.com> writes:
> On Tuesday, 11 March 2003 at 10:43:20 +0200, Aharon Robbins wrote:
> > Can someone clarify for me how Caldera fits in the picture?  I
> > thought SCO sold Unix to Caldera?  It was Caldera that did the
> > BSD-ing of ancient Unix.
> Caldera changed its name (back) to SCO about last August.  It's the
> same company.  Take a look at http://www.caldera.com.

This message explains the history of SCO in more detail:
http://developers.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=56649&cid=5483348

--
Lars Brinkhoff,         Services for Unix, Linux, GCC, PDP-10, HTTP
Brinkhoff Consulting    http://www.brinkhoff.se/

* [TUHS] SCO & Caldera?
@ 2003-03-11 23:48     ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2003-03-11 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key
On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 09:15:00AM +1030, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> > FWIW I too paid $100 for an ancient Unix license, and I've got the
> > System III stuff that licensees had access to.
>
> Hmmm.  That's a point.  Does the Ancient UNIX license cover more than
> last year's release?
> Greg

The US$100 SCO Ancient UNIX license had this clause:

    The SOURCE CODE PRODUCTS to which SCO grants rights under this
    Agreement are restricted to the following UNIX Operating Systems,
    including SUCCESSOR OPERATING SYSTEMs, that operate on the 16-Bit
    PDP-11 CPU and early versions of the 32-Bit UNIX Operating System
    with specific exclusion of UNIX System V and successor operating
    systems:

    16-Bit  UNIX Editions 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
    32-bit  32V

    [ http://minnie.tuhs.org/PUPS/sco_license.txt ]

This implies that System III on the PDP11 is covered by this license,
as SCO has the legal rights to System III and it is a SUCCESSOR
OPERATING SYSTEM.

The BSD-style Caldera license has this clause:

   The source code for which Caldera International, Inc. grants rights are
   limited to the following UNIX Operating Systems that operate on the
   16-Bit PDP-11 CPU and early versions of the 32-Bit UNIX Operating System,
   with specific exclusion of UNIX System III and UNIX System V and
   successor operating systems:

   32-bit  32V UNIX
   16 bit  UNIX Versions 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

   [ http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Caldera-license.pdf ]

@ 2003-03-11 22:45 ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2003-03-11 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)