The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Did SunOS 3 have mmap(2)?
@ 2003-04-11 13:53 Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2003-04-11 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,
	I just received a query: did SunOS 3 have a working mmap(2)? My
vague memory says no, but I don't have access to a 3.5 box any more to
find out. Can anybody help out here?

	Warren

* [TUHS] Did SunOS 3 have mmap(2)?
@ 2003-04-14  8:43 ` Jochen Kunz
From: Jochen Kunz @ 2003-04-14  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2003.04.11 15:53 Warren Toomey wrote:

> I just received a query: did SunOS 3 have a working mmap(2)?
I don't know. But you may ask Peter Koch, the director of the Sun3 Zoo:
http://www.sun3zoo.de/
Peter knows everything about Sun 3 hardware and has some in deep
knowledge of SunOS.
--

tschüß,
       Jochen

* [TUHS] Did SunOS 3 have mmap(2)?
@ 2003-04-16 21:56   ` Tim Bradshaw
From: Tim Bradshaw @ 2003-04-16 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Jochen Kunz wrote:
> I don't know.

I've just asked someone who knows, and he elaborated my very vague
memory: yes it did, and in fact there was mmap right back, and beyond,
the start of SunOS.  *But* it only mapped devices, particularly
framebuffers, where it was obviously very useful.  SunOS 4 had a
fully-fledged mmap.

I am fairly sure that 4.2BSD had manual pages for mmap, but it didn't
work.

--tim

* [TUHS] Did SunOS 3 have mmap(2)?
@ 2003-04-17  7:49     ` Jochen Kunz