The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] question about SIMH tapes
@ 2003-06-20 13:59 Kenneth Stailey
From: Kenneth Stailey @ 2003-06-20 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Harti's p11 comes with mktape which when given a control file will turn a set
of files into a tape image.  Is there anything like this for SIMH PDP-11?

Thanks,
Ken

http://sbc.yahoo.com

* [TUHS] question about SIMH tapes
@ 2003-06-20 16:11 ` Andru Luvisi
From: Andru Luvisi @ 2003-06-20 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Kenneth Stailey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Harti's p11 comes with mktape which when given a control file will turn a set
> of files into a tape image.  Is there anything like this for SIMH PDP-11?

Check out the Perl scripts tapadd.pl, tapcat.pl, and mkdisttap.pl in
http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/PDP-11/Boot_Images/2.11_on_Simh/211bsd.tar.gz

For details of the tape format, search for "Magnetic Tapes" in
simh_doc.txt.

Andru
--
Andru Luvisi, Programmer/Analyst

Quote Of The Moment:
  C. A. R. Hoare once said that ``One thing [the language designer] should
  not do is to include untried ideas of his own.''  Ratfor follows this
  precept very closely -- everything in it has been stolen from someone
  else.
  		-- Brian W. Kernighan, "RATFOR: A Preprocessor for a
  		                        Rational Fortran"

* [TUHS] question about SIMH tapes
@ 2003-06-21  8:12   ` Akito Fujita
From: Akito Fujita @ 2003-06-21  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Andru Luvisi <luvisi@andru.sonoma.edu>
Subject: Re: [TUHS] question about SIMH tapes
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 09:11:33 -0700 (PDT)

> On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Kenneth Stailey wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Harti's p11 comes with mktape which when given a control file will turn a set
> > of files into a tape image.  Is there anything like this for SIMH PDP-11?
>
> Check out the Perl scripts tapadd.pl, tapcat.pl, and mkdisttap.pl in
> http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/PDP-11/Boot_Images/2.11_on_Simh/211bsd.tar.gz
>
> For details of the tape format, search for "Magnetic Tapes" in
> simh_doc.txt.

You can see "SIMH Magtape Representation and Handling" also.
(http://simh.trailing-edge.com/docs/simh_magtape.pdf)

- Akito

* [TUHS] question about SIMH tapes
@ 2003-06-24 14:34 ` Kenneth Stailey
From: Kenneth Stailey @ 2003-06-24 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wolfgang,

By default your software is copyright under the Berne treaty.

If you indend to make this public-domain please add a comment indicating that
this is so.

Thanks,
Ken

--- Wolfgang Helbig <helbig at Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE> wrote:
> Just to keep it Unix-like, I wrote enblock, which takes a file in stdin
> a produces a tape file on stdout in SIMH-format. It takes one option,
> the block size, which defaults to 512. It writes an end of file mark
> after each run. To write more than one file on one tape, type
>
>  	enblock <file1 >tape ; enblock <file2 >>tape
> to write an end of tape mark, type
> 	enblock </dev/null >>tape
>
> You'll find enblock.c at
> 	http://www.ba-stuttgart.de/~helbig/os/v6/enblock.c
>

> >Hi,
> >
> >Harti's p11 comes with mktape which when given a control file will turn a
> set
> >of files into a tape image.  Is there anything like this for SIMH PDP-11?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Ken

http://sbc.yahoo.com

* [TUHS] question about SIMH tapes