The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] System V
@ 2003-06-23 18:27 Sebastien Loisel
From: Sebastien Loisel @ 2003-06-23 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I have located 30 boot floppies for AT&T UNIX SVR4.0 2.1 for the 386
Apparently, only SCSI hard drive controllers are supported. I don't have a
machine with a SCSI hard drive (and I'd rather not sacrifice a live
machine to svr4.)

I tried booting in in bochs, and it sort of works, but it panics
relatively early. I suspect it's for the lack of SCSI emulation in bochs,
but I'm not sure.

I'm trying to find whatever source code there is on those floppies. I've
grepped through the disk images, and I did find some source code in the
clear. However, I suspect I haven't yet found the kernel source (which is
what I'm after.) Disks 13 and 14 have an actual filesystem on them, but
many (all?) of the other disks appear to be laid out as flat arrays of
bytes without much (any?) filesystem information. The fs on disks 13 and
14 doesn't appear to be completely standard sysv, at least according to my
rh8 box.

Anyone knows enough about this operating system to help me out? Perhaps
some hints as to where the kernel sources might be located, how they are
encoded? (I hope the kernel sources are in fact on the disks!)

Sebastien Loisel

* [TUHS] System V
@ 2003-06-23 18:42 ` Michael Davidson
From: Michael Davidson @ 2003-06-23 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sebastien Loisel wrote:

>I'm trying to find whatever source code there is on those floppies. I've
>grepped through the disk images, and I did find some source code in the
>clear. However, I suspect I haven't yet found the kernel source (which is
>what I'm after.) Disks 13 and 14 have an actual filesystem on them, but
>many (all?) of the other disks appear to be laid out as flat arrays of
>bytes without much (any?) filesystem information. The fs on disks 13 and
>14 doesn't appear to be completely standard sysv, at least according to my
>rh8 box.

I suspect that most of the disks are either System V .pkg datastreams
or cpio archives.

Since this is obviously an installable binary distribution the only
"source code" that you are going to find on it are the header files
in /usr/include and /usr/include/sys etc and, perhaps, a few example
or demo programs.

Don't bother looking for kernel source code - it isn't there.

* [TUHS] System V
@ 2003-06-23 19:38   ` Sebastien Loisel
From: Sebastien Loisel @ 2003-06-23 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks. At least now I can stop fighting with those svr4 floppies.

Did the svr4/386 sources ever get out in the wild?

Sebastien Loisel

@ 2003-06-23 22:15     ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2003-06-23 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, 23 June 2003 at 15:38:56 -0400, Sebastien Loisel wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Michael Davidson wrote:
>> Sebastien Loisel wrote:
>>> I'm trying to find whatever source code there is on those floppies. I've
>>> grepped through the disk images, and I did find some source code in the
>>> clear. However, I suspect I haven't yet found the kernel source (which is
>>> what I'm after.) Disks 13 and 14 have an actual filesystem on them, but
>>> many (all?) of the other disks appear to be laid out as flat arrays of
>>> bytes without much (any?) filesystem information. The fs on disks 13 and
>>> 14 doesn't appear to be completely standard sysv, at least according to my
>>> rh8 box.
>>
>> I suspect that most of the disks are either System V .pkg datastreams
>> or cpio archives.
>>
>> Since this is obviously an installable binary distribution the only
>> "source code" that you are going to find on it are the header files
>> in /usr/include and /usr/include/sys etc and, perhaps, a few example
>> or demo programs.
>>
>> Don't bother looking for kernel source code - it isn't there.
>>
> Thanks. At least now I can stop fighting with those svr4 floppies.
>
> Did the svr4/386 sources ever get out in the wild?

Doubtless, but it wasn't legal.

Greg
--
Finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key