The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Interview with Brian Kernighan
@ 2003-07-29 14:53 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2003-07-29 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kenneth Stailey:

  But Brian, FreeBSD does not run on a Mac unless you don't need features like
  booting up all the way.

=======

I think that just underscores the point: it doesn't matter which
church the system goes to as long as it works.

If everyone was as areligious in their computing the world would
be a much better place.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* [TUHS] Interview with Brian Kernighan
@ 2003-07-29 18:43   ` Kenneth Stailey
From: Kenneth Stailey @ 2003-07-29 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

--- "M. Warner Losh" <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
> In message: <20030729144024.91368.qmail at web10009.mail.yahoo.com>
>             Kenneth Stailey <kstailey at yahoo.com> writes:
> : FreeBSD on my Mac;
> : But Brian, FreeBSD does not run on a Mac unless you don't need features
> like
> : booting up all the way.
>
> There was a FreeBSD/68k port in the 1.1 time frame.  It was never
> integrated into the main FreeBSD sources due to The Lawsuit and
> FreeBSD starting over with 4.4-lite.
>
> Warner

Actually, I just figured out that when BK said "FreeBSD on Mac" he meant "Mac
OS X".  (Doh!)

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

* [TUHS] Interview with Brian Kernighan
@ 2003-07-29 14:57 ` M. Warner Losh
From: M. Warner Losh @ 2003-07-29 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-07-29 14:40 Kenneth Stailey
From: Kenneth Stailey @ 2003-07-29 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=7035&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

some quotes:

<< LJ: Is it true that you suggested the name "UNIX" for the long ago OS,
Multics? What does that word mean?

BK: Yes, long ago. Multics was an acronym for something like Multiplexed
Information and Computing Service, and it was big and complicated because it
had many of everything. I suggested Unics for Ken's new system, because it was
small and had at most one of anything. (Multi and uni are both Latin roots, so
it was a very weak pun.) Someone else spelled it with the letter X; no one can
remember who. >>

<< LJ: What UNIX OSes do you like? Linux? BSD?

BK: The way I use them, which is as a casual programmer, it doesn't
matter--they are all the same. If I encounter some difference, it only makes me
mad, because there really isn't any reason for things to be different most of
the time. I use Solaris at Princeton, Irix when I visit Bell Labs, and FreeBSD
on my Mac; I also have Cygwin on several PCs so that standard tools are readily
available. >>

But Brian, FreeBSD does not run on a Mac unless you don't need features like
booting up all the way.

http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/ppc.html

<< 3 July, 2002 : This page has been significantly updated. FreeBSD/PowerPC
currently boots almost to the point of reaching single-user mode. >>

Oh well.