The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Lions book (was: Booting v6)
@ 2004-04-15  0:43 Brian S Walden
From: Brian S Walden @ 2004-04-15  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at lemis.com> wrote:

> Yes, I've found it now and put it up in multiple formats at
> http://www.lemis.com/grog/Documentation/Lions/.  Enjoy!
>
> Greg

I resurrected the Lions' source code for the commentary I made some
15 years back -- line numbers at all. It had been lost for some time
and it took a bit, but I finally found it on some obsolete media.
In making it I didn't have v6 source so it was reverted from v7.

See http://v6.cuzuco.com/

-B

* [TUHS] Lions book (was: Booting v6)
@ 2004-04-17 23:04 ` Maciek Bieszczad
From: Maciek Bieszczad @ 2004-04-17 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

There's another program out there that generates the source code listing
format found in the Lions book:

[taken from http://cardit.et.tudelft.nl/~knop/#programs]

Cdg - a C-source Documentation Generator

Cdg produces output in a format similar to the layout used in "Source
Code and Commentary on UNIX level 6" by John Lions. This format consists
of a two-column listing of the sources where all lines are numbered, 100
lines per page. The listing is followed by an extensive cross reference
table.

* [TUHS] Lions book (was: Booting v6)
@ 2004-04-15 20:31 Brian S Walden
From: Brian S Walden @ 2004-04-15 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

I <tuhs at cuzuco.com> wrote:

> I resurrected the Lions' source code for the commentary I made some
> 15 years back -- line numbers at all. It had been lost for some time
> and it took a bit, but I finally found it on some obsolete media.
> In making it I didn't have v6 source so it was reverted from v7.
>
> See http://v6.cuzuco.com/

Sorry to bother again, but I just noticed that the PostScript versions
I uploaded were the portrait mode ones, not landscape. I have put the
right ones in now, so if you downloaded them before this message, you'll need
to get them again.  Both PDFs however were and are correct.

-B

* [TUHS] Lions book (was: Booting v6)
@ 2004-04-14  3:01         ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2004-04-14  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, 14 April 2004 at 11:16:26 +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2004-Apr-14 09:46:25 +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at lemis.com> wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 13 April 2004 at 20:06:43 -0400, Tim Shoppa wrote:
>>> [Lions book]
>>>
>>> Latex source to the book was posted to alt.folklore.computers circa
>>> 1994.  I'm guessing that the poster (a "Leo") typed it in by hand
>>> given the comments that came with the readme.
>>
>> Yes, that's the one I got.  From memory, the subject was "Leo's notes"
>> and it was uuencoded or some such.  Strangely, not many people got it.
>
> Google agrees that the subject was "Leo's notes" and it was posted in
> 7 uuencoded parts in mid-June 1994.

I didn't recall that it was that many.  Unfortunately, I didn't retain
the original articles.  Google appears to be wrong about the date,
though: my copy is dated May 19, 1994.

--
Note: I discard all HTML mail unseen.
>On Tuesday, 13 April 2004 at 20:06:43 -0400, Tim Shoppa wrote:
>> [Lions book]
>>> Wow. Time to start Xeroxing it again...  :)
>>
>> Latex source to the book was posted to alt.folklore.computers circa
>> 1994.  I'm guessing that the poster (a "Leo") typed it in by hand
>> given the comments that came with the readme.
>
>Yes, that's the one I got.  From memory, the subject was "Leo's notes"
>and it was uuencoded or some such.  Strangely, not many people got it.

Google agrees that the subject was "Leo's notes" and it was posted in
7 uuencoded parts in mid-June 1994.  Unfortunately, Google doesn't
appear to have kept a copy of the posting (just the whinges about the
size).

@ 2004-04-14  0:55       ` Maciek Bieszczad
From: Maciek Bieszczad @ 2004-04-14  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

You can download PostScript and PDF versions of the Lions book here:

http://morris.xsdeny.net/data/docs/unix/lionc.ps
http://morris.xsdeny.net/data/docs/unix/lionc.pdf

You can also view Google's rendition here:

http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:www.upl.cs.wisc.edu/~epaulson/lionc
.ps

In my opinion, the LaTeX version would still be interesting. The
previously mentioned files themselves were probably produced from that
source.

* [TUHS] Lions book (was: Booting v6)
@ 2004-04-14  0:16     ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2004-04-14  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, 13 April 2004 at 20:06:43 -0400, Tim Shoppa wrote:
> [Lions book]
>> Wow. Time to start Xeroxing it again...  :)
>
> Latex source to the book was posted to alt.folklore.computers circa
> 1994.  I'm guessing that the poster (a "Leo") typed it in by hand
> given the comments that came with the readme.

Yes, that's the one I got.  From memory, the subject was "Leo's notes"
and it was uuencoded or some such.  Strangely, not many people got it.

Do you still have the text?  I haven't found mine yet, but a number of
people have expressed interest.

Greg
--
Note: I discard all HTML mail unseen.