The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] cvsweb for BSD
@ 2004-05-08 16:15 ` Albert Cahalan
From: Albert Cahalan @ 2004-05-08 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 2004-05-08 at 13:10, Kenneth Stailey wrote:

> Possibly converting SCCS to RCS to CVS.  I don't know how far back my BSD SCCS
> goes.
>
> Maybe a smaller project to CVS 4.3BSD-tahoe to Quasijarus first.
>
> One of the big problems is that they move files all over the place as BSD
> developed and CVS doen't work too elegantly with those kind of changes.

Bitkeeper handles this well. I suspect that Larry McVoy would
at least be mildly interested in giving advice for such
a project. Bitkeeper is SCCS-based.

Bitkeeper also has a superior web interface. You can't beat
standard unified diff format with a tiny bit of color added.

* [TUHS] cvsweb for BSD
@ 2004-05-08 17:10 Kenneth Stailey
From: Kenneth Stailey @ 2004-05-08 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I just thought of a neat idea.  Put old versions of BSD source code into a CVS
archive using "cvs import" and then run a CVSWEB site with that.

Possibly converting SCCS to RCS to CVS.  I don't know how far back my BSD SCCS
goes.

Maybe a smaller project to CVS 4.3BSD-tahoe to Quasijarus first.

One of the big problems is that they move files all over the place as BSD
developed and CVS doen't work too elegantly with those kind of changes.

Maybe subversion not CVS but I've yet to do anything with subversion.

Does anything like this already exist?

Thanks,
Ken

* [TUHS] cvsweb for BSD
@ 2004-05-08 19:19   ` M. Warner Losh
From: M. Warner Losh @ 2004-05-08 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

:
: > Possibly converting SCCS to RCS to CVS.  I don't know how far back my BSD SCCS
: > goes.
: >
: > Maybe a smaller project to CVS 4.3BSD-tahoe to Quasijarus first.
: >
: > One of the big problems is that they move files all over the place as BSD
: > developed and CVS doen't work too elegantly with those kind of changes.
:
: Bitkeeper handles this well. I suspect that Larry McVoy would
: at least be mildly interested in giving advice for such
: a project. Bitkeeper is SCCS-based.
:
: Bitkeeper also has a superior web interface. You can't beat
: standard unified diff format with a tiny bit of color added.

If you are going to use a proprietary system, you might as well use
perforce, which has better branching and file movement support than
bitkeeper.  But I guess I'm a little biased because I like p4 better
than bk.

Warner

* [TUHS] cvsweb for BSD
@ 2004-05-08 22:07 ` Kenneth Stailey
From: Kenneth Stailey @ 2004-05-08 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

--- Kenneth Stailey <kstailey at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Maybe a smaller project to [use] CVS [to track changes from] 4.3BSD-tahoe
> to Quasijarus first.

done.

http://hermes.tubas.net/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/4.3BSD/src/

* [TUHS] cvsweb for BSD
@ 2004-05-08 17:19 Michael Sokolov
From: Michael Sokolov @ 2004-05-08 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kenneth Stailey <kstailey at yahoo.com> wrote:

> One of the big problems is that they move files all over the place as BSD
> developed and CVS doen't work too elegantly with those kind of changes.

Yes, neither SCCS nor RCS nor CVS tracks file moves, and for this single reason
an SCCS/RCS/CVS tree is not sufficient by itself to act as a complete BSD
history tree.  See this page for an idea of what I had to go through:

http://ifctfvax.Harhan.ORG/Quasijarus/sccs.html

MS