The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Unix Tenth Edition ownership?
@ 2005-06-21  0:52 James Falknor
From: James Falknor @ 2005-06-21  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

To all Unix Officiando's,

    Who has ownership of Unix Tenth Edition?

    Has anybody tried contacting the current owner for it's release
under an OSI approved license?

Thank you,
James Falknor

* [TUHS] Unix Tenth Edition ownership?
@ 2005-06-21  1:06 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2005-06-21  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 06:52:33PM -0600, James Falknor wrote:
> To all Unix Officiando's,
>    Who has ownership of Unix Tenth Edition?
>    Has anybody tried contacting the current owner for it's release
> under an OSI approved license?

Norman Wilson is the custodian of Tenth Edition. He would like to donate
a copy to the archives, but 10e contains quite a lot of material gathered
from many places, and the task of tracking down all the copyright owners
and getting permission would be an arduous task. Norman reads the list, so
he may respond with a more detailed comment.

	Warren

* [TUHS] Unix Tenth Edition ownership?
@ 2005-06-21  9:41   ` Wesley Parish
From: Wesley Parish @ 2005-06-21  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 13:06, Warren Toomey wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 06:52:33PM -0600, James Falknor wrote:
> > To all Unix Officiando's,
> >    Who has ownership of Unix Tenth Edition?
> >    Has anybody tried contacting the current owner for it's release
> > under an OSI approved license?
>
> Norman Wilson is the custodian of Tenth Edition. He would like to donate
> a copy to the archives, but 10e contains quite a lot of material gathered
> from many places, and the task of tracking down all the copyright owners
> and getting permission would be an arduous task. Norman reads the list, so
> he may respond with a more detailed comment.
>
> 	Warren

With all due respect, may I suggest that this list is precisely the sort of
resource necessary for tracking down copyright ownerships?

After all, we do have a good number of subscribers who were there at the ealry
stages of Unix(R)(T[F]M).  (I wasn't - I was a high-schoold student at Deakin
High, Canberra at the time Prof Lions was writing his Commentary, and the
nearest _we_ got to computers was an Apple II we got in 1978 - and it was
mostly used for games. ;)  Sad but true. ;^)

I'm sure we're up to it.  Just ask us.

Wesley Parish

-----
Mau e ki, he aha te mea nui?