The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [pups] "/unix is not the running version." ??
@ 2005-11-03 15:58 Robert Armstrong
From: Robert Armstrong @ 2005-11-03 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Unfortunately the autoconfig stuff has /unix hard coded into
> it and will only look for this file.

  Thanks, guys, for the answer.  I've got to admit that I'm disappointed.
If you have to decide, before the old system goes down, via a series of
moves or copies or hard links or whatever, which kernel you're going to use
the next time the system comes up, then it doesn't seem all that useful.

  I guess if I build a kernel that just doesn't work at all, I can always
boot the old kernel far enough to get to single user mode where I can remove
the dud /unix, put the old one back, and then reboot.  That's something.

  Anyway, if that's the way it is, then that's the way it is :-)  Thanks
again.

Bob

* [pups] "/unix is not the running version." ??
@ 2005-11-03 16:10 ` David Evans
From: David Evans @ 2005-11-03 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 07:58:20AM -0800, Robert Armstrong wrote:
> > Unfortunately the autoconfig stuff has /unix hard coded into
> > it and will only look for this file.

>   Anyway, if that's the way it is, then that's the way it is :-)  Thanks
> again.

  I suppose some enterprising soul could "fix it"...

--
David Evans
Faculty of Computer Science                     dfevans at bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
Dalhousie University, Halifax, Canada  http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/

* [pups] Getting P11 up on redhat
@ 2006-03-03 17:43   ` Robin Birch
From: Robin Birch @ 2006-03-03 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Everyone,
I'm having a bit of fun getting P11 up on redhat.  Has anyone got a copy
of AS11 that they could send me as I want to rebuild everything
including the boot rom to make sure that I've got it as right as I can.

Cheers

Robin
--
Robin Birch

* [pups] "/unix is not the running version." ??
@ 2005-11-03 15:09 ` robinb
From: robinb @ 2005-11-03 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Right idea, wrong way round :-)

Copy your /unix to something like /unix.save and then call your new image /unix.

@ 2005-11-03  4:40 Robert Armstrong