The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] UNIX and relatives and SSH
@ 2005-11-10  8:20 Jose R Valverde
From: Jose R Valverde @ 2005-11-10  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Gregg,

Renovamos el Correo Yahoo!
Nuevos servicios, más seguridad
http://correo.yahoo.es

* [TUHS]  UNIX and relatives and SSH
@ 2005-11-10  8:45 Jose R Valverde
From: Jose R Valverde @ 2005-11-10  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry for my previous aborted message. I'm using
webmail which is an alien sort of thing to me.

What I wanted to say is that you may as well let them
'telnet' to the PDP11-2.11BSD through SSH.

I mean, you may have the PDP behind a firewall with
all
ports blocked, and another machine (linux, *bsd,
whatever) with SSH open.

Then all that would be needed is that your friend uses
an
SSH tunnel to the telnet port of the PDP.

For instance, let's say you open an account for your
friend on the intermediate machine: s/he may use this
machine to forward one of his local ports (say 2300)
port 23 on the PDP11 system (say
pdp11-2bsd.example.net) as

ssh -L 2300:pdp11-2bsd.example.net:23 hop.example.net

This would forward his local port 2300 to port 23
of pdp11-2bsd.example.net, using the host
hop.example.net as an intermediate SSH step.

Then all that your friend needs to do is issue a

telnet localhost 2300

and that would connect him to the telnet port of the
PDP11 using SSH.

If s/he uses windows, most SSH clients have a port
forwarding tool that makes introducing this
information
very easy.

So, to sumamrize:

- you open an account on an intermediate host that has
SSH

- your friend creates a tunnel from his own computer
the PDP using the intermediate host with his
user/pswd.

- your friend telnets his/her own local computer at
the
chosen port

All communications will be encrypted between his/her
computer and the intermediate host, and go in the
clear
between the intermediate host and the PDP.

If the intermediate host is behind a firewall, then
that would be no problem.

@ 2005-11-09  5:58 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2005-11-09  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 11:04:24PM -0500, Gregg C Levine wrote:
> Warren, just for the sake of double checking my facts, are the
> instructions regarding the BSD family for the PDP-11 up to date?

They are probably close, but if someone with more knowledge
wants to update them, then let me know :)

I doubt that you'd get SSH compiled into the 64K data space available to
a PDP-11 process. So, I think an SSH to telnet proxy would be the best
solution.

	Warren

* [TUHS] UNIX and relatives and SSH
@ 2005-11-09  4:04 Gregg C Levine
From: Gregg C Levine @ 2005-11-09  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello from Gregg C Levine
One of my less then familiar with UNIX and its relatives, friend,
wants to explore a system running UNIX.

Probably BSD for the PDP-11 I should think. Since I view telnet, from
the Internet to me anyway, as a security risk can someone check this
assertion?

The last version of BSD for the PDP-11 that I am aware of, and have
seen on the site, 2.11 does not have the capability to run SSH,
because it does not have the ability to compile it from source. SSH
wasn't added to the operating systems that we use until much later. I
freely admit that part of my assertion may not be correct however.
(Regarding the ability to build SSH natively.)

For example, I am aware that the BSD base, such as FreeBSD, and
NetBSD, and OpenBSD, all have SSH included. It certainly is in Linux.

What I am planning on doing is configuring the Linux version of E11 to
run the chosen BSD pointing its Ethernet connection, to the one my
Linux box in question uses. And have a second one also running the
same release work as a gateway for the first. You'd run SSH to the
gateway, login as a "guest" and via an appropriate password, and then
telnet to the product. Of course to risk damage to the baseboard
Ethernet connection, I'd probably put a cheap card in the computer,
and run that over to my router. Pointing it of course to the
E11instance.

Warren, just for the sake of double checking my facts, are the
instructions regarding the BSD family for the PDP-11 up to date?
---
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net
---
"Remember the Force will be with you. Always." Obi-Wan Kenobi