The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] TUHS Digest, Vol 41, Issue 5
       [not found] <mailman.1.1190685601.70750.tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>
@ 2007-09-25  2:36 ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2007-09-25  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > I'm assuming that the source isn't available at all (I wonder if Sun
> > still have it?)
>
> It is not *legally* available, but it is *actually* available.

As the guy who started this thread, I'm very grateful for the help.
All I wanted was the lint libraries I wrote, those were like include files
and it is hard to imagine Sun cares about those (I had to threaten to
quit to get them included in the release, back in the day of 200MB disks).

And while I really appreciate all the offers for the source of SunOS
4.x, I'm a CEO of a software company and it would be way over the line
if I accepted any of those offers.  So thanks, I appeciate it, but I
hope you'll understand that I have to color inside the lines.
--
---
Larry McVoy                lm at bitmover.com           http://www.bitkeeper.com

* [TUHS] TUHS Digest, Vol 41, Issue 5
@ 2007-09-25  3:12   ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2007-09-25  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry McVoy scripsit:

> As the guy who started this thread, I'm very grateful for the help.
> All I wanted was the lint libraries I wrote, those were like include files
> and it is hard to imagine Sun cares about those (I had to threaten to
> quit to get them included in the release, back in the day of 200MB disks).

What do you plan to do with them?

--
One art / There is                      John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org>
No less / No more                       http://www.ccil.org/~cowan

* [TUHS] TUHS Digest, Vol 41, Issue 5
@ 2007-09-25  3:19     ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2007-09-25  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 11:12:57PM -0400, John Cowan wrote:
> > As the guy who started this thread, I'm very grateful for the help.
> > All I wanted was the lint libraries I wrote, those were like include files
> > and it is hard to imagine Sun cares about those (I had to threaten to
> > quit to get them included in the release, back in the day of 200MB disks).
>
> What do you plan to do with them?

Nothing that interesting.  I was just passing them on to my team here at
BitMover as an example of a pile of work that was painstaking.  And had
to be exactly correct.

I wrote those so that you could develop on SunOS but retarget your code
for any other palatform and have it work.  Apparently I cared about that
more than most.  I felt strongly at the time that you'd be an idiot to
develop on any other platform, SunOS was way past being the best, it was
without peer.  So I felt safe in giving people a way to retarget their
code.

Little did I know that Solaris was waiting in the wings.
--
---
Larry McVoy                lm at bitmover.com           http://www.bitkeeper.com