The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Recovering flaky CDs
@ 2007-10-31 18:19 James Petts
From: James Petts @ 2007-10-31 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

And it is the top side (label side) of the CD that is most
fragile, not the reading side. There is about 0.5 mm of
plastic that can take some pretty fearsome scratches and
still be readable, or at least resurfaceable (is that a
word?).

* [TUHS] Recovering flaky CDs
@ 2007-10-31 18:28 ` asbesto
From: asbesto @ 2007-10-31 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 10:19:05AM -0800, James Petts wrote:

> > > A great problem I had some time ago was a sort of oxydation of the
> > > cd material; this seem to happen using very bad cd brands. i had

> > degrC. Within a day the aluminium layer had holes in it the size of dimes.
> > Apparantly the protective lacquer was very substandard.
> And it is the top side (label side) of the CD that is most
> fragile, not the reading side. There is about 0.5 mm of

YES - and the oxidation I had was on the top "label" side,
affecting also the reading side :(

p.s.

the lack of "reply-to" in this mailing list is very, very
annoying, because it generate a lot of duplicates.

8(

--
[ 73 de IW9HGS : freaknet medialab : radiocybernet : poetry hacklab]
[ http://freaknet.org/asbesto -  http://papuasia.org/radiocybernet ]

* [TUHS] Recovering flaky CDs
@ 2007-10-31 19:43   ` Wilko Bulte
From: Wilko Bulte @ 2007-10-31 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Quoting asbesto, who wrote on Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 07:28:46PM +0100 ..

> > > degrC. Within a day the aluminium layer had holes in it the size of dimes.
> > > Apparantly the protective lacquer was very substandard.
> > And it is the top side (label side) of the CD that is most
> > fragile, not the reading side. There is about 0.5 mm of
>
> YES - and the oxidation I had was on the top "label" side,
> affecting also the reading side :(

Yep, the protective lacquer is on the label/top side.  The bottom
part aka the disc itself is polycarbonate (IIRC)

> p.s.
>
> the lack of "reply-to" in this mailing list is very, very
> annoying, because it generate a lot of duplicates.

procmail is you friend.  At least it is my friend ;)

Wilko

* [TUHS] Recovering flaky CDs
@ 2007-11-01 13:11     ` Pete Turnbull
From: Pete Turnbull @ 2007-11-01 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01/11/2007 08:03, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 10:56:29 -0600 (MDT)
> Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
>
>> I've used cdparanoia to recover badly damaged audio disks.  Are there
>> not similar programs for data disks?
> cdrdao can do similar things for audio and data disks.

Yes, cdrdao uses the cdparanoia libraries for reading.

--

Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Network Manager

* [TUHS] Recovering flaky CDs
@ 2007-11-01  8:03   ` Jochen Kunz
From: Jochen Kunz @ 2007-11-01  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 10:56:29 -0600 (MDT)
Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

> I've used cdparanoia to recover badly damaged audio disks.  Are there
> not similar programs for data disks?
cdrdao can do similar things for audio and data disks.
--

tschüß,
       Jochen

* [TUHS] Recovering flaky CDs
@ 2007-11-01  7:59     ` Wesley Parish
From: Wesley Parish @ 2007-11-01  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday 01 November 2007 06:15, Angus Robinson wrote:
> Warner Losh wrote:
> > From: "James Petts" <jpetts at operamail.com>
> > Subject: Re: [TUHS] Recovering flaky CDs
> > Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 08:25:00 -0800

<snip>

> >> Those CD Doctor "cleaners" (they actually do a minor
> >> resurfacing of the disc) have rescued several discs
> >> for me.
> >
> > I've used cdparanoia to recover badly damaged audio disks.  Are there
> > not similar programs for data disks?
> >
> > Warner
>
> Dont know how true it is but the local paper here was running a story
> about some students using goverment condoms to fix scratched cd's. They
> worked for 3 uses. Never tried it as most of the stuff i have on cd i
> can get again.

Ignoring the inevitable ribald humour arising from the concept - "supersized,
for all the government d*ckheads" ... ;)

A friend of mine suggested using a silver polisher to resurface the plastic
when the scratches prevent it from being readable, but I've never tried it.

Wesley Parish

> Regards,
> Angus

-----
Gaul is quartered into three halves.  Things which are
impossible are equal to each other.  Guerrilla
warfare means up to their monkey tricks.
Extracts from "Schoolboy Howlers" - the collective wisdom
of the foolish.
-----
Mau e ki, he aha te mea nui?

* [TUHS] Recovering flaky CDs
@ 2007-10-31 18:09   ` Wilko Bulte
From: Wilko Bulte @ 2007-10-31 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2007-10-31 17:15   ` Angus Robinson
From: Angus Robinson @ 2007-10-31 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Warner Losh wrote:
> From: "James Petts" <jpetts at operamail.com>
> Subject: Re: [TUHS] Recovering flaky CDs
> Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 08:25:00 -0800

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] Recovering flaky CDs
@ 2007-10-31 16:56 ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2007-10-31 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: "James Petts" <jpetts@operamail.com>
Subject: Re: [TUHS] Recovering flaky CDs
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 08:25:00 -0800

@ 2007-10-31 16:47 ` asbesto
From: asbesto @ 2007-10-31 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > > Easiest first step is try using different kinds of CD/CD-R/DVD-R drives.
> > > I have found some 'unreadable' CDs could be read using a DVD drive.
> > I remember a very old SONY cd-rom reader capable of reading very
> > damaged cd! It was the SONY CDU-33A, it has his
> > own controller, so was not an IDE or SCSI drive. But it can be
> Those CD Doctor "cleaners" (they actually do a minor
> resurfacing of the disc) have rescued several discs
> for me.

A great problem I had some time ago was a sort of oxydation of the
cd material; this seem to happen using very bad cd brands. i had
this horrible problems with "SEANTRAM" and "PRINCO" cd's; the
princo cd was literally unreadable after only 6 months of age!

--

@ 2007-10-31 16:25 James Petts
From: James Petts @ 2007-10-31 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2007-10-31  9:22     ` asbesto