The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [pups] pdp11 in Utah
       [not found] <mailman.3.1193882401.82886.pups@minnie.tuhs.org>
@ 2007-11-01 13:02 ` Milo Velimirovic
From: Milo Velimirovic @ 2007-11-01 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 11:39:58 -0600
> From: "Brad Midgley" <bmidgley at gmail.com>
> Subject: [pups] pdp11 in Utah
> To: pups at minnie.tuhs.org
>
> Hi
>
> I have a pdp11 (about the size of a 6u rackmount) free if anyone is
> interested.

This sounds like a Digital BA-11 of some sort. It could be something
as early as a pdp 11/20, 11/05, 11/34, 11/35, or as late as a 11/24
or 11/44 -- possibly others.

> --
> Brad
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 16:44:50 -0400
> From: "Gregg Levine" <gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [pups] pdp11 in Utah
> To: "Brad Midgley" <bmidgley at gmail.com>
> Cc: pups at minnie.tuhs.org
>
> On 10/31/07, Brad Midgley <bmidgley at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a pdp11 (about the size of a 6u rackmount) free if anyone
>> is interested.
>>
>> --
>> Brad
>>
> Hello!
> Brad, I am interested, although the space in my apartment would be the
> big issue. The problem is that I am in an apartment in NYC, Queens to
> be exact. Just how hard would it be to send it to me?

Not easy or cheap. It's bulky, heavy and would usually require 2
persons to move around. I've moved various of my pdp11s around and
it's always been hard work. Stashing a case of beer in the bottom of
an H960 is good incentive for assistants.

> If its both cost
> and space excessive then perhaps others on the list would be
> interested.
>
> Oh and which model is this fellow? I am looking for a PDP-11/53, and
> have been for many years.
e-Bay?
> --
> Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
> "This signature was once found posting rude
>  messages in English in the Moscow subway."
[snip]

--
Milo Velimirović,  Unix Computer Network Administrator
608-785-6618 Office -  608-386-2817 Cell

* [pups] pdp11 in Utah
@ 2007-11-01 14:34   ` Brad Midgley
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Brad Midgley @ 2007-11-01 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

hey

> This sounds like a Digital BA-11 of some sort. It could be something
> as early as a pdp 11/20, 11/05, 11/34, 11/35, or as late as a 11/24
> or 11/44 -- possibly others.

I think the toggle switches on the front need to be set right and the
terminal settings need to be guessed at to talk over serial. The pics
probably don't reveal much but they're easier than describing it.

http://www.xmission.com/~bmidgley/front.jpg
http://www.xmission.com/~bmidgley/back.jpg

I don't have the inclination to tear it open.

--
Brad

* [pups] pdp11 in Utah
@ 2007-11-01 15:15     ` Kees Stravers
From: Kees Stravers @ 2007-11-01 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is a BA23 box with what looks like an early PDP-11/23 in it. You
have it upside down on the photo, so it is best to turn it over, or else
the power supply will burn out because of overheating. The power switch
should be at the top. It has a RD53 70 MB Micropolis harddrive and a
TK50 95MB tape drive. Since it has four serial ports, one of which is
the console, I think it has a CPU card without a serial console port on
it, which makes it an early one. In those cases a separate four port
serial card was installed, with the first port set to the console
address. I have such a system in my collection.
Kees

@ 2007-11-01 15:27     ` Robert Armstrong
From: Robert Armstrong @ 2007-11-01 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

>http://www.xmission.com/~bmidgley/front.jpg
>http://www.xmission.com/~bmidgley/back.jpg

  It's an 11/23 or 11/73 in a BA23 box (assuming it's not actually a
MicroVAX, that is :-).  A nice system for running 2.11 or 2.9BSD, but
nothing rare.  If you open the card cage and read the module numbers
(they'll be "M" and four digits) off the edges of the cards, then we can
tell you exactly what it is.

  BTW, I assume you know that you have it upside down ...

Bob Armstrong

* [pups] pdp11 in Utah
@ 2007-11-01 15:34     ` Robert Armstrong
From: Robert Armstrong @ 2007-11-01 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

>http://www.xmission.com/~bmidgley/back.jpg

  I should have paid more attention - since it doesn't appear to have an CPU
control panel in the back, then we can guess that it must be a KDF11A 11/23
CPU and the four serial ports that you see are a DLV11J.  No way of knowing
whether it's a real 11/23 or a 11/23+ without reading the M number off the
CPU card.  It probably also has a BDV11, some amount of memory, a RQDX1 and
of course a TK/TQK50.

Bob

* [pups] pdp11 in Utah
@ 2007-11-01 16:28       ` Gregg C Levine
From: Gregg C Levine @ 2007-11-01 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!
(Regular address time.)
Yes I agree from your photos he is standing on his head. And judging from
everyone else's descriptions, he's slightly larger then the others who live
here.

Have there been any other takers?

Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net

On Behalf

@ 2007-11-02 22:07       ` Jochen Kunz
From: Jochen Kunz @ 2007-11-02 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 08:34:24 -0700
"Robert Armstrong" <bob at jfcl.com> wrote:

>   I should have paid more attention - since it doesn't appear to have
>   an CPU
> control panel in the back, then we can guess that it must be a KDF11A
> 11/23 CPU and the four serial ports that you see are a DLV11J.
There is also the M8192 KDJ11 / 11/73 CPU. It is a dual with QBus card
like the M8186 and intended as a upgrade for the M8186. The M8192 has no
console SLU nor ROM. I have such a M8192 in my 11/73, that lives in a
BA23...
--

tschüß,
       Jochen

* [pups] pdp11 in Utah
@ 2007-11-01 15:25 Fred N. van Kempen
From: Fred N. van Kempen @ 2007-11-01 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All,

That's a BA23 in tower stand, aka a room heater.

The system looks like a Micro-PDP11/23 or /53.
The tape unit seems to be an old model TK50 (it
has no markings, which was standard for the old
units), the disk could be an RD-53, it has the
same alu frame.  Other disks (RD54) are full-metal,
or smaller (RD31, 32, 20).

The buttons on the front panel seem to be just 4,
not 6.  The original Micro-11 (aka 11/23) had 4,
because it could handle only a single disk (the
10MB disk RD50); the newer systems had two extra
buttons (online and WP) for a second disk.

So... looks like a Micro-11[/23] with larger than
standard disk (RD53)and the original TK50 tape.

On the back panel we only see the bulkhead for the
system-standard DZV-11 4-port async module, of
which ports 0 and 1 (console and aux, resp) are
in semi-fixed mode.

Cheers,

Fred

PS: for people in NL; I have a few 11/53 systems
    left... :)

* [pups] pdp11 in Utah
@ 2007-11-01  7:21     ` Wilko Bulte
From: Wilko Bulte @ 2007-11-01  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Quoting Brad Midgley, who wrote on Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 05:09:15PM -0600 ..
> hi
>
> I really hope someone local has an interest. We'll see.
>
> > Oh and which model is this fellow? I am looking for a PDP-11/53, and
> > have been for many years.
>
> I'm not sure... I'd like to know too. It's 7x22x27 inches, just says
> "digital micro pdp-11" on the front, has a full-height hard drive and

Picture??

> tape drive showing on the left. four expansion areas in the back
> (a,b,c,d) with only a populated (with four 25-pin connectors). it has
> four toggle buttons on the front that light up when toggled in:
> orange, red, green and i think the last one is reset. i connected a
> terminal up to the port hand-labeled "console" but tried a few
> terminal settings with no result.
>
> --
> Brad
--- end of quoted text ---

--
Wilko

* [pups] pdp11 in Utah
@ 2007-10-31 23:09   ` Brad Midgley
From: Brad Midgley @ 2007-10-31 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2007-10-31 20:44 ` Gregg Levine
From: Gregg Levine @ 2007-10-31 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/31/07, Brad Midgley <bmidgley at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a pdp11 (about the size of a 6u rackmount) free if anyone is interested.
>
> --
> Brad

Hello!
Brad, I am interested, although the space in my apartment would be the
big issue. The problem is that I am in an apartment in NYC, Queens to
be exact. Just how hard would it be to send it to me? If its both cost

Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com

@ 2007-10-31 17:39 Brad Midgley