The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS]  mach & nextstep.
@ 2007-10-11 13:14 Jose R. Valverde
From: Jose R. Valverde @ 2007-10-11 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bad luck. The CD's are lost (unreadable actually). Not surprising seeing as they
were old and had been tossed around so many times (sic).

Maybe the original request for Mach sources should be redirected to comp.os.mach
or to some of the original authors to see if they still keep something around.
It might be that even CMU keeps something.

--
	These opinions are mine and only mine. Hey man, I saw them first!

			    José R. Valverde

	De nada sirve la Inteligencia Artificial cuando falta la Natural
* [TUHS] Recovering flaky CDs (was:  mach & nextstep.)
@ 2007-10-30 22:36 ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2007-10-30 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, 11 October 2007 at 15:14:01 +0200, Jose R. Valverde wrote:
>> I *think* I have.
>>
>> Thank goodness yo mention this! I believe I have copies on CD-ROM dating back
>> from '94 or so. I'll dig them up. The problem is I believed I also had them on
>> the FTP server, but they aren't. I must have lost them on one disk crash or
>> another and didn't notice, so your question is great for I might part of the
>> original CDs and lose it.
>>
>> 'nuff said. I'll check this afternoon when I go back home and try to find again
>> those old CDs (cross your fingers).
>
> Bad luck. The CD's are lost (unreadable actually). Not surprising
> seeing as they were old and had been tossed around so many times
> (sic).

Is there anybody on this list who knows a way of recovering flaky CDs?

Greg
From: Al Kossow @ 2007-10-30 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> Is there anybody on this list who knows a way of recovering flaky CDs?

Easiest first step is try using different kinds of CD/CD-R/DVD-R drives.

I have found some 'unreadable' CDs could be read using a DVD drive.

* [TUHS] Recovering flaky CDs
@ 2007-10-31  9:22     ` asbesto
From: asbesto @ 2007-10-31  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 04:26:14PM -0700, Al Kossow wrote:

> > Is there anybody on this list who knows a way of recovering flaky CDs?
> Easiest first step is try using different kinds of CD/CD-R/DVD-R drives.
> I have found some 'unreadable' CDs could be read using a DVD drive.

I remember a very old SONY cd-rom reader capable of reading very
damaged cd! It was the SONY CDU-33A, it has his
own controller, so was not an IDE or SCSI drive. But it can be
connected to an old soundcard like Spectrum or other similars,
having some cdrom interfaces.

sorry for my  bad english :)

--
[ 73 de IW9HGS : freaknet medialab : radiocybernet : poetry hacklab]
[ http://freaknet.org/asbesto -  http://papuasia.org/radiocybernet ]

* [TUHS] Recovering flaky CDs (was:  mach & nextstep.)
@ 2007-11-05 17:07   ` Jose R. Valverde
From: Jose R. Valverde @ 2007-11-05 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)