The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [Unix-jun72] Existing resources
@ 2008-04-28 22:49 Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2008-04-28 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just thought I'd make a quick list of what we have at our disposal, apart
from the humans that is :)

http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/bellLabs/unix/PreliminaryUnixImplementationDocument_Jun72.pdf
	- the 1972 kernel on paper, currently being OCR'd in

http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/1stEdman.html
http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/PDP-11/Distributions/research/Dennis_v3/v3man.tar.gz
	- manuals for 1st and 3rd Edition UNIX. I have 2nd Ed on paper, and
	  I'll scan it in.

http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/PDP-11/Distributions/research/1972_stuff/
	- binaries from around 1972 in the s2.tar.gz tarball.
	- fragment of source code from 1972 in s1-fragments.tar.gz.

http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Applications/Early_C_Compilers/
	- early C compiler source, known to be working and can
	  recompile itself. The last1120c.tar.gz is probably the
	  one best suited to the 1972 kernel.

http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/PDP-11/Emulators/Apout/
	- Apout, an emulator which can actually run the 1972 binaries.
	  This means we can use the 1972 tools to help reconstruct the system.

http://simh.trailing-edge.com/
	- Bob Supnik's simh emulator, which we can use to boot the kernel
	  once it's typed in and assembled

Cheers,
	Warren

* [Unix-jun72] Some discussion
@ 2008-04-28 23:03 ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2008-04-28 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Below I include part of an email I sent out to Brantley earlier on my
plans.  I've been using 7ed unix and "as" so far to compile the pieces
of the source as they've become available.  I have a "sys.s" file
in the svn that defines the system calls per the u1.s file (Brantley
says the older versions of "as" had the syscall table built in):

    $ as - sys.s u0.s ux.s

and used that as a quick litmus test for syntax errors.  Now that I
am aware of apout I will probably start using the "as" from the 1972
bits.

earlier comments:
-----
As for putting the machine together, I've put together some notes
in the svn under machine.txt.  It seems to be a pdp 11/20 with 24kbytes
ram, and rk03, rf, ttys on a dc-11, tape on tc-11.  I think all of
this should be fairly easy to set up in simh except the ttys
(and console is only used in single user according to docs).  Simh
doesnt support 24kbyte ram setting, but 32k should prob work fine.

Interestingly the kernel has a build mode ("cold") where it will
build a new filesystem on disk, so that might make bringing up
the system a little easier.  There's a boot sequence that seems a
little elaborate described in one of the 1st ed manuals, but probably
for initial bring-up it would be sufficient to just deposit all
the values in the right place with simh using a script to generate
the simh config...

If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.  I've played with
pdp-11 in simh before, but a lot of this is still new to me.

Tim Newsham
http://www.thenewsh.com/~newsham/