The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [Unix-jun72] assembling ux.s
@ 2008-04-29  1:33 Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2008-04-29  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying out apout using the "1972_stuff" binaries.  When using
"as" to assemble "ux" (e10-01 through e10-02) it gives an error
"m 0024" (multiply-defined label) for the line:

     mount:    .=.+1024.

I assume this is because the assembler has predefined the "mount"
system call (I ran across this earlier when using my system call
table sys.s with ux with the v7 assembler).

We can work around this (ie. use the v7 assembler without the definition
for "mount"), but it worries me a little -- why does the listing
have such an obvious and large flaw?  The symbol "mount" is used
in several places, so this isn't likely to be a small typo.  I can't
think of a good explanation as to why this error would exist in the
listing other than possibly pointing to another assembler being used.

Tim Newsham
http://www.thenewsh.com/~newsham/

* [Unix-jun72] assembling ux.s
@ 2008-04-29  6:31 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2008-04-29  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 03:33:25PM -1000, Tim Newsham wrote:
> I am trying out apout using the "1972_stuff" binaries.  When using
> "as" to assemble "ux" (e10-01 through e10-02) it gives an error
> "m 0024" (multiply-defined label) for the line:
>
>      mount:    .=.+1024.
>
> I assume this is because the assembler has predefined the "mount"
> system call (I ran across this earlier when using my system call
> table sys.s with ux with the v7 assembler).

It does look like this is the case. The manual says that syscall names
are pre-defined, and in these source fragments from 1972, you can see
that as definitely knows about mount and open:

http://minnie.tuhs.org/UnixTree/1972_stuff/s1/frag37.html
http://minnie.tuhs.org/UnixTree/1972_stuff/s1/frag22.html

I've sent an e-mail to Dennis to see if he can remember what the procedure
was to rebuild the kernel from the assembly source.

Cheers,
	Warren