The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [Unix-jun72] ... in case you wanted to play along.
@ 2008-05-02 21:03 Tim Newsham
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Tim Newsham @ 2008-05-02 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here's the current status on how to use the files:

   - svn to the latest version
   - install v7 binaries somewhere (ie /tmp/v7)
   - install apout somewhere (ie /tmp/apout2.3alpha2)
   - update paths in tools/assemv7
   - compile tools/ml.c into tools/ml
   - build simh's pdp11 emulator using brad's patches at
     http://www.unlambda.com/download/pdp11/unix-jun72/KE.diff
     install into tools/pdp11
   - run ./tools/assemv7 to make files in build/*
   - run ./simh.cfg to run the emulator
   - type "go" to start it
   - type "go" at the first halt to continue writing over your rf0 disk
   - after waiting for a while, type control-e and then "det rf" and
     then "quit"
   - you should now have some data written over your rf0.dsk image.

Next steps:

   - continue debugging the cold boot process.  This should eventually
     let us install a full root disk image from the kernel and a
     tape construct with 1972_stuff s2 /bin and /etc files.
   - get a working mkfs and use it to build and populate the rk03 disk
     with the 1972_stuff s2 /usr files.
   - continue debugging the kernel to boot the rf0 disk and mount the
     rk03 disk on /usr.

Tim Newsham
http://www.thenewsh.com/~newsham/

* [Unix-jun72] ... in case you wanted to play along.
@ 2008-05-03  1:39 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2008-05-03  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 11:03:01AM -1000, Tim Newsham wrote:
> Here's the current status on how to use the files:
>
>    - svn to the latest version
>    - install v7 binaries somewhere (ie /tmp/v7)
>    - install apout somewhere (ie /tmp/apout2.3alpha2)
>    - update paths in tools/assemv7

Tim, a small suggestion, could you modify assemv7 to source a config file
at the top, e.g:

# settings: insert lines similar to these in your config file
# APOUT=/usr/home/wkt/.bin/apout
# APOUT_ROOT=/usr/local/src/V7
# COLD=1
#
. tools/assemv7.cfg

so that we don't have to modify the script that comes out of svn, but we
can edit a separate file which isn't in the svn repository. That'd be great!

Thanks,
	Warren

* [Unix-jun72] ... in case you wanted to play along.
@ 2008-05-03  1:46   ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2008-05-03  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Tim, a small suggestion, could you modify assemv7 to source a config file
> at the top, e.g:

good idea.  done.

Btw, feel free to alter any of the tools.  I don't want people to
feel like I'm the only one allowed to touch them.

I also made the "cold" option a command line option.  Running
"assemv7 cold" will give you a "cold" kernel.  Runing "assemv7"
will give you a normal kernel.

@ 2008-05-03  1:53 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2008-05-03  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 11:03:01AM -1000, Tim Newsham wrote:
> Here's the current status on how to use the files:

>    - run ./simh.cfg to run the emulator
>    - type "go" to start it
>    - type "go" at the first halt to continue writing over your rf0 disk
>    - after waiting for a while, type control-e and then "det rf" and
>      then "quit"
>    - you should now have some data written over your rf0.dsk image.

I've done this, and now have an rf0.dsk which I can use to compare against
the output of my mkfs. I tried validating the image with V1 check:

	apout /usr/local/src/V1/bin/check rf0.dsk

Lots of inode errors, but at least check thinks there are files:

   . . .
5535 bad; i = 498i
5535 bad; i = 498i
  81 files
  81 large
 552 indirect
 552 used
 255 dup; i =   0f
 647 free
 343 missing

So things are progressing! I wish the docs were more informative as to
how to understand the output of check.

Cheers,
	Warren

* [Unix-jun72] ... in case you wanted to play along.
@ 2008-05-03  1:55 ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2008-05-03  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

To build a rf image using the cold boot:

    - svn update to the latest.
    - run "tools/assemv7 cold" to make a cold image
    - run "./simh.cfg"
    - "break 40160"  this is the "close" syscall at the end of
      processing the tape
    - "go"
    - "go" again if you're sure you want to overwrite your rf image
    - after a few seconds you're at 40160 and your disk is made.
      if you "go" again it will run /etc/init but you will get no
      output.  I think we need the DC-11 for this.

at this point you should be able to run a normal kernel with

    - "tools/assemv7" to make a normal kernel
    - run "./simh.cfg"
    - "go"

but you won't see any output and I havent verified that it's doing
anything useful yet.

@ 2008-05-03  2:25   ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2008-05-03  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 03:55:13PM -1000, Tim Newsham wrote:
> To build a rf image using the cold boot:
>     - svn update to the latest.
>     - run "tools/assemv7 cold" to make a cold image
>     - run "./simh.cfg"
>     - "break 40160"  this is the "close" syscall at the end of
>       processing the tape
>     - "go"
>     - "go" again if you're sure you want to overwrite your rf image

Don't forget to "det rf" and "quit" to make sure the rf0.dsk image is
written out correctly.

V1 check gives this output on the above rf0.dsk image:

  62 files
  62 large
 322 indirect
9976 used
 406 free
 552 missing

but that's skipping the bad/dup i messages.

Cheers,
	Warren