The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: lm@bitmover.com (Larry McVoy)
Subject: [TUHS] Wikipedia for Unix?
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 17:17:06 -0700	[thread overview]

On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 07:39:43PM -0400, John Cowan wrote:
> Warren Toomey scripsit:
>
> > Comments?
>
> Wikia uses MediaWiki, like Wikipedia, but is ad-driven and partitioned
> into individual wikis.  Currently unix.wikia.com belongs to a spammer:
> maybe we could get it liberated by talking to the wikia admins.
>
> Alternatively, someone could host a MediaWiki installation.

We have 3Mbit/sec (two T1's bonded) to the net and an air conditioned machine
room.  I'm more than happy to stick a machine in that room and put whatever
you guys want on it (debian? freebsd?) and make sure it is backed up.

Other than that it's up to you, but if that helps I can have a box in there
sometime next week.

We do this for other folks, my sister is a director at Music Together
and we've hosted their mail server for years.

We're pretty stable as an organization, I can commit to a 5 year term
and unless the shit hits the fan I see no reason it can't go longer than
that.
--
---
Larry McVoy                lm at bitmover.com           http://www.bitkeeper.com