The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: neozeed@gmail.com (Jason Stevens)
Subject: [TUHS] UNIX turns forty
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 14:40:00 -0400	[thread overview]

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 11:48 PM, Brian S Walden<tuhs at cuzuco.com> wrote:
> http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9133570

I've just posted my $0.02 on the whole thing, but to recap I think
it's lame the author didn't try to track down any actual digital
artifacts of the era.  I've tried to make the Unix v1 resurrection
project more 'accessible' to the 'masses' (albeit windows masses)..
But I guess it's just not glitzy enough.. Or they just don't realize
that it even exists.

I guess what it is coming down to, if you want it done 'right' you're
going to have to do it yourself.  And I guess that would be to make
something detailed to categorized the evolutionary steps of Unix from
all the versions that are in the TUHS/PUPS archive.  And if the
multiuser facilities exist, to make as may different versions
(free/unencumbered or even 'commercial?') available online for people
to kick the tires...

I don't know I may be just dreaming in the sense I figure I'd probably
end up with something just as empty, but would people be willing to
put forth some kind of wiki of antidotes of their usage of various
Unix on platforms?

Maybe I'm just babbling so if it sounding too grandiose feel free to
say I'm delusional.

But in some way it’d be cool to have a “Unix museum” online that could
walk you thru the various versions, show off the features of each, and
allow the person to actually logon to a system..

That being said, is there a way to “cap” the amount of CPU that SIMH
uses?  Like a good old fashioned throttle?