The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Historical Papers on Unix now online
@ 2010-11-09  6:10 Aharon Robbins
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2010-11-09  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

A friend sent this to me. Both of these mailing lists are likely
to find this of interest.  I have a paper copy of the 1978 BSTJ,
either the '82 or '83 issues, whichever one was devoted to Unix. :-)

Arnold

@ 2010-11-09 11:32 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2010-11-09 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 08:10:38AM +0200, Aharon Robbins wrote:
> A friend sent this to me. Both of these mailing lists are likely
> to find this of interest.  I have a paper copy of the 1978 BSTJ,
> either the '82 or '83 issues, whichever one was devoted to Unix. :-)

I thought the BSTJ went into 1984, as I have some references to 1984 issues,
e,g, The Evolution of UNIX System Performance. Bell System Technical Journal,
63(8):1791–1814, October 1984.

I've mailed Rod Alferness to see if there are any later issues.

Cheers,
	Warren

* [TUHS] Historical Papers on Unix now online
@ 2010-11-09 14:50 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2010-11-09 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Warren:

  I thought the BSTJ went into 1984, as I have some references to 1984 issues,
  e,g, The Evolution of UNIX System Performance. Bell System Technical Journal,
  63(8):1791b\x131814, October 1984.

=======

The journal's name changed at the end of 1983, from Bell System Technical
Journal to AT&T Bell Laboratories Technical Journal, to reflect
divestiture.

There was indeed a late-1984 all-UNIX-papers issue of the BLTJ, but
technically (and journally) it was the BLTJ then, not the BSTJ.

I don't know whether there are issues of copyright-ownership or
the like over the post-divestiture journal (does it belong to
Bell Labs, now owned by Alcatel, or to AT&T, now owned by
Southern Bell?) that interfere with releasing the latter-day
journal.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON
(actually passing through Davis CA on a train, but
who cares?)