The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] 2.9 kernel compile
@ 2015-02-11 16:37 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2015-02-11 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net>

    > Only the 11/23+ can, early rev 11/23s couldn't go above 256K.

Correctamundo on the last part, but not the first. I have both 11/23+'s and
11/23's, and I can assure you that Rev C and later 11/23's (the vast majority
of them) can do more than 256KB. See:

  http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/academic/computer-science/history/pdp-11/hardware/micronotes/1123.eco

for more.

	Noel

* [TUHS] 2.9 kernel compile
@ 2015-02-13  2:20 ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2015-02-13  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 12 Feb 2015, Noel Chiappa wrote:

> I don't know about 2.9, maybe it knows about these. For V6, the SLR
> won't be an issue; the SLR is an option on the 11/40, so not all
> machines had it, and m40.s in V6 doesn't use it. The instruction restart
> thing sounds like it will be an issue with running V6 on a /34.

I have no idea how, or even whether, I handled that...

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Bliss is a MacBook with a FreeBSD server."
http://www.horsfall.org/spam.html (and check the home page whilst you're there)

* [TUHS] 2.9 kernel compile
@ 2015-02-13  2:15   ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2015-02-13  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 12 Feb 2015, Jacob Ritorto wrote:

> found a copy here,
> ithink.. https://github.com/eunuchs/unix-archive/blob/master/PDP-11/Bug_Fixe
> s/V7_on11-34/unix_on_1134.txt

Yeah; I wrote that.  It originally appeared in an issue of AUUGN; don't
know which one, as I haven't set myself up as a mirror for Minnie yet.

--

@ 2015-02-12 15:44 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2015-02-12 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Noel Chiappa

    > apparently there are two differences between the 11/34 and 11/40, other
    > than the clock and switch register

Too early in the morning here, clearly... I was thinking of the 11/23 and the
11/40 here in the clock/SR comment, not the /34 and the /40.

_Iff_ the 11/34 is using the standard DL11-W console interface board (which
includes an LTC), there's no difference that I know of between the 11/34 and
the 11/40 on the LTC front (although the LTC is an option in the /40, so a /40
might not have one, in which case the V6 will panic on trying to boot unless
it has a KW11-P).

As for the switch register... I guess that on machines with a KY11-A, there
is no switch register? (Too lazy/busy to go read the manual(s) to confirm...)

	Noel

* [TUHS] 2.9 kernel compile
@ 2015-02-12 15:27 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2015-02-12 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Jacob Ritorto

    > found a copy here, i think..

Ah, thanks.

You might want to look around in the parent directory; apparently there are
two differences between the 11/34 and 11/40, other than the clock and switch
register: the stack limit register, and different handling of
segmentation-violation aborted instructions (which affects instruction
restart on stack extension).

@ 2015-02-12 14:16 ` Jacob Ritorto
From: Jacob Ritorto @ 2015-02-12 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 8:47 AM, Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
wrote:

>     > From: Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org>
>
>     > Read my paper on it :-)
>
> URL?
>
>         Noel

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] 2.9 kernel compile
@ 2015-02-12 13:47 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2015-02-12 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org>

    > Read my paper on it :-)

URL?

	Noel

* [TUHS] 2.9 kernel compile
@ 2015-02-12  9:50 ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2015-02-12  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 11 Feb 2015, Noel Chiappa wrote:

>     > Maybe something to do with clock differences.
>
> Again, if it boots at all, that's not it. (The vanilla /23 doesn't have
> a software-controllable clock, and when booting Unix on one, one has to
> leave the clock switched off till UNIX is running - at least, for the
> early versions of UNIX.)

Read my paper on it :-)

--

@ 2015-02-12  3:43 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2015-02-12  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Jacob Ritorto

    > I jiggled the memory board and the seqfault went away.

Ugh. A flaky. I hate those....

    > So now the real box is behaving more like the simh and just hanging,
    > not panicing anymore.

Does it _always_ hang at the same point in time? If so, what are the
circumstances, - have you just tried to start multi-user operation, or what?

    > How can I find this startup() you mention?

It's in machdep.c in sys/sys.

	Noel

* [TUHS] 2.9 kernel compile
@ 2015-02-12  3:23 ` Jacob Ritorto
From: Jacob Ritorto @ 2015-02-12  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK, I jiggled the memory board and the seqfault went away.  Which is weird
because I had all the boards out of this one, thoroughly vacuumed the
backplane and all boards and deoxidized the edge connectors before
reassembling.   So now the real box is behaving more like the simh and just
hanging, not panicing anymore.  How can I find this startup() you mention?

@ 2015-02-11 21:14 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2015-02-11 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2015-02-11 20:38   ` Jacob Ritorto
From: Jacob Ritorto @ 2015-02-11 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

..and here's another boot crash on the real machine:
\x7f\x7fBerkeley UNIX (Rev. 2.9.25) Sat Aug 11 17:56:41 EDT 2001
\x7f\x7fmem = 158720
\x7f\x7f
CONFIGURE SYSTEM:
ra 0 csr 172150 vector 154 attached
xp ? csr 176700 vector 254 skipped:  No CSR
rl ? csr 174400 vector 160 didn't interrupt
dz ? csr 160110 vector 320 skipped:  No autoconfig routines
lp ? csr 177514 vector 200 skipped:  No autoconfig routines
ka6 = 2200
\x7f\x7faps = 141572
\x7f\x7fpc = 50456 ps = 30250
\x7f\x7f__ovno = 7
\x7f\x7ftrap type 11
\x7f\x7fpanic: trap

@ 2015-02-11 20:32 ` Jacob Ritorto
From: Jacob Ritorto @ 2015-02-11 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

\x7f\x7f\x7f\x7f\x7f40Boot
\x7f\x7f\x7f\x7f\x7f: ra(0,0)unix
\x7f\x7f\x7f\x7f\x7f
[...]

Is that weird?  The real 11/34 has 128KW and simh is set to 256.  Where's
it getting that odd number?  Vanilla 2.9.1 on the real 11/34 boots with

\x7f\x7fBerkeley UNIX (Rev. 2.9.1) Sun Nov 20 14:55:50 PST 1983
\x7f\x7fmem = 135872

@ 2015-02-11 16:27 ` Cory Smelosky
From: Cory Smelosky @ 2015-02-11 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 11 Feb 2015, Noel Chiappa wrote:

>    > From: Jacob Ritorto
>
>    > I think it's something to do with the fact that he compiled it to run on
>    > an 11/23. Maybe it lacks unibus support.
>
> No, the UNIBUS and QBUS appear (from the programming level) to be identical.
> There are subtle differences (the /23 and its devices can address more than
> 256KB of memory, and some devices have minor differences between the QBUS and
> UBIBUS - e.g. the QBUS DZ has only 4 lines, not 8), but in general, they
> should be interchangeable.

Only the 11/23+ can, early rev 11/23s couldn't go above 256K.

>    > Maybe something to do with clock differences.
>
> Again, if it boots at all, that's not it. (The vanilla /23 doesn't have a
> software-controllable clock, and when booting Unix on one, one has to leave
> the clock switched off till UNIX is running - at least, for the early versions
> of UNIX.)
>
>    > I fired 2.9MSCP up in simh emulating an 11/23 and it works fine. Just to
>    > corroborate my hardware experience of it on the '34, I switch the cpu
>    > emulation to 11/34 and got a mostly identical crash sequence as with my
>    > real hardware.
>
> Ah. Now we're getting somewhere! If the simulator crashes in the same way, it's
> not flaky hardware (my first guess as to the cause).
>
> What are the symptoms (in as much detail as you can give us)? What, if anything,
> is printed before it dies?
>
>    > I changed ...
>    > UNIBUS_MAP = 0
>    > UNIBUS_MAP = 1
>
> The /34 doesn't have a UNIBUS map.
>
>    Noel

Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff
http://gimme-sympathy.org Projects

* [TUHS] 2.9 kernel compile
@ 2015-02-11 16:20 Noel Chiappa
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2015-02-11 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2015-02-11 15:47 Jacob Ritorto
From: Jacob Ritorto @ 2015-02-11 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
  Since my Fuji160 drive is rather head-crashed, I've replaced it with an
M2333k, which is a smaller SMD rig with more sectors than the 160.
Unfortunately, after many dip switch settings and config changes, I have to
conclude that the sc21 just doesn't work with this new disk.

  I've plugged in my SC41 controller that speaks MSCP and supports the
M2333k correctly.  So now it's a matter of getting a unix small enough to
run on the 11/34 that can also speak MSCP.  Enter Jonathan Engdahl's
2.9bsd-MSCP.

  I managed to restor a root dump from his distribution and am able to
occasionally boot it on my 11/34, but it crashes very soon after booting
and I don't understand why. I think it's something to do with the fact that
he compiled it to run on an 11/23. Maybe it lacks unibus support. Maybe
something to do with clock differences. Not sure. But I was thinking that I
could make it work by recompiling the kernel with 11/34 support.

I fired 2.9MSCP up in simh emulating an 11/23 and it works fine. Just to
corroborate my hardware experience of it on the '34, I switch the cpu
emulation to 11/34 and got a mostly identical crash sequence as with my
real hardware.

  So I switched the emulation back to '23, rebooted and edited the assym.s
file found in Jonathan's /usr/src/sys/RA directory. I changed
PDP11 = 23.
PDP11 = 34.

as well as

UNIBUS_MAP = 0
UNIBUS_MAP = 1

and recompiled with 'make unix,' then copied the resultant unix to /unix.

I switched simh back to emulating an 11/34 and rebooted. It crashes
randomly just as it did before the kernel recompile.

Any idea what I'm missing here? My hope was to simply move this
freshly-compiled 11/34-friendly kernel onto my real 11/34 and have a
working hardware system.

thx
jake