The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] who is "Veigh S. Meer"?
@ 2015-07-16 22:21 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2015-07-16 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Horsfall:

  Call me slow, but can someone please explain the joke?  If it's American
  humo[u]r, then remember that I'm British/Australian...

There is no such thing as American humour, because Yanks don't know
how to spell.

They can't get the wood either.

Norman Wilson
(reformed Yank)
Toronto ON

* [TUHS] who is "Veigh S. Meer"?
@ 2015-07-16 22:29 ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2015-07-16 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norman Wilson scripsit:

> They can't get the wood either.

Nor can we take the piss.

> Norman Wilson
> (reformed Yank)

"There are two kinds of Yanks, those who know nothing about Canada,
and those who don't care either."  --me talking to Robert McNeil at a
lecture by him

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
At times of peril or dubitation,
Perform swift circular ambulation,
With loud and high-pitched ululation.

* [TUHS] who is "Veigh S. Meer"?
@ 2015-07-21  1:18 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2015-07-21  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The punning pseudonym, the complaint at the end that Unix and C are dead
> and nothing is even on the horizon to replace them, and the general snarky
> tone suggest to me that it's Rob "Mark V. Shaney" Pike.  In that case,
> the affiliation with Bellcore is a blind ("not Goodyear, Goodrich").

VSM, MVS: what other mystery authors in Unix land identify thus with VMS?

Doug

* [TUHS] who is "Veigh S. Meer"?
@ 2015-07-17  5:25     ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2015-07-17  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, all; Yiddish is not exactly one of my strong points...

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Those who don't understand security will suffer"
   "The complexity for minimum component costs has increased at a rate of

* [TUHS] who is "Veigh S. Meer"?
@ 2015-07-16 23:31     ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2015-07-16 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, 17 July 2015 at  7:04:47 +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jul 2015, John Cowan wrote:
>
>> The punning pseudonym, the complaint at the end that Unix and C are dead
>> and nothing is even on the horizon to replace them, and the general
>> snarky tone suggest to me that it's Rob "Mark V. Shaney" Pike.  In that
>> case, the affiliation with Bellcore is a blind ("not Goodyear,
>> Goodrich").
>
> Call me slow, but can someone please explain the joke?  If it's American
> humo[u]r, then remember that I'm British/Australian...

Thanks, Dave.  I didn't want to ask.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.
> Call me slow, but can someone please explain the joke?  If it's American
> humo[u]r, then remember that I'm British/Australian...

It represents a phonetic respelling of Yiddish "vey iz mir", corresponding
etymologically to German "Weh ist mir" and English "woe is me", but more
idiomatically to "Oh, no!", expressing despair.

* [TUHS] who is "Veigh S. Meer"?
@ 2015-07-16 21:04   ` Dave Horsfall
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2015-07-16 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015, John Cowan wrote:

> The punning pseudonym, the complaint at the end that Unix and C are dead
> and nothing is even on the horizon to replace them, and the general
> snarky tone suggest to me that it's Rob "Mark V. Shaney" Pike.  In that
> case, the affiliation with Bellcore is a blind ("not Goodyear,
> Goodrich").

Call me slow, but can someone please explain the joke?  If it's American
humo[u]r, then remember that I'm British/Australian...

(Yes, I'm familiar with Mark V. Shaney, and have even used it.)

--

@ 2015-07-16 20:27   ` Deborah Scherrer
From: Deborah Scherrer @ 2015-07-16 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Good logic....I bet you're right.
Debbie

@ 2015-07-16 20:17 ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2015-07-16 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
All Gaul is divided into three parts: the part that cooks with lard and goose
fat, the part that cooks with olive oil, and the part that cooks with butter.
  --David Chessler

* [TUHS] who is "Veigh S. Meer"?
@ 2015-07-16 15:48 Deborah Scherrer
From: Deborah Scherrer @ 2015-07-16 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)