The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] RIP Ken Iverson
@ 2015-10-23 10:59 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2015-10-23 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan,

I wrote:
Quiz for the occasion: which major Unix utility adopted IPL's
unprecedented expression syntax?

You correctly responded:
troff.
I suppose, in a sense, that 'dc' also fits the bill but given that that is
inherent in it's stack based nature, I doubt that is what you meant.

The notion of precedence pertains specifically to infix notation, so
postfix dc is definitely not in the running.
Idle thought about my typo: Though APL is famously inscrutable, IPL
(specifically IPL-V) outshined it in that department.

Doug

* [TUHS] RIP Ken Iverson
@ 2015-10-22 13:34   ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2015-10-22 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

(Also, the 7th edition assembler, which was [is?] implicitly a major
utility, if seldom invoked by itself.)

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 9:32 AM, Dan Cross <crossd at gmail.com> wrote:

> troff.
>
> I suppose, in a sense, that 'dc' also fits the bill but given that that is
> inherent in it's stack based nature, I doubt that is what you meant.
>
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 8:20 AM, Doug McIlroy <doug at cs.dartmouth.edu>
> wrote:
>

>> Quiz for the occasion: which major Unix utility adopted IPL's
>> unprecedented expression syntax?
>>
>> doug

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] RIP Ken Iverson
@ 2015-10-22 13:32 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2015-10-22 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2015-10-22 12:20 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2015-10-22 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2015-10-21 15:41 ` Gilbert Morgan
From: Gilbert Morgan @ 2015-10-21 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

RIP. I also meant to acknowledge D. Ritchie some days back as well.

<quote who="Dave Horsfall">

gilbertmm at sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.org

* [TUHS] RIP Ken Iverson