The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Subject:  Re:  A portrait of cut(1)
@ 2015-11-12  2:11 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2015-11-12  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> /*        (-s option: serial concatenation like old (127's) paste command */
>
> For that matter, what's the "old (127's) paste command" it refers to?

I can't remember 127 ever having a "paste" command. We did have "ov",
which overlaid adjacent pairs of formatted pages to make two-column
text. "Serial concatenation" would seem to be what was done by "pr"
or "cat".

"ov" figured in the flurry of demos on the day of pipes' birth.
        nroff | ov | ov
made four-column output.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2015-11-12  2:11 UTC | newest]