The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] "Edition 0" manual
@ 2015-11-24 22:40 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2015-11-24 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I've not seen anything before Dennis' scan of the 1st
> Edition manuals. Can you make a scan of this one available?

I shall, as I had intended to do if this document was as
unknown or forgotten by others as it was by me.

Doug

* [TUHS] "Edition 0" manual
@ 2015-11-25 15:44 ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2015-11-25 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was a little tongue in cheek, but it worked, I was trying to tease
out more details about the beginning.

And I personally love troff, had to write a paper in Latex recently
and found it painful.

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 12:08:17AM -0500, Doug McIlroy wrote:

> > It's worth noting that Unix was built for troff.  Typesetting patents
> if I recall correctly.
>
> This is a stretch. Unix was really built because Ken and Dennis
> had a good idea. The purchase of a PDP-11 for it was in part
> justified by the goal of making a word-processing system. The
> first in-house "sale" of Unix was indeed to the patent department
> for typing patents--the selling point was that roff could be
> made (by an overnight modification) to print line numbers as
> USPTO required, whereas that was not a feature of a commercial
> competitor. The timeline is really roff--Unix--patent--nroff--troff.
> Though roff antedated Unix, it did not motivate Unix.
>
> > Is this The UNIX Time-Sharing System, or related to it? The same
> > claim appears in the first paragraph:
> > https://www.bell-labs.com/usr/dmr/www/cacm.html
>
> This draft clearly dates from 1971. Pieces of it were worked
> into subsequent versions of the manual as well as published
> descriptions of Unix, including the SIGOPS/CACM paper.
>
> Doug

---

* [TUHS] "Edition 0" manual
@ 2015-11-25  5:08 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2015-11-25  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2015-11-24  6:41 ` Random832
From: Random832 @ 2015-11-24  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2015-11-24  3:55   ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2015-11-24  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > A little poking around tuhs.org didn't reveal a copy of
> > this document. Does anybody know of one somewhere else?
>
> No, I've not seen anything before Dennis' scan of the 1st
> Edition manuals. Can you make a scan of this one available?

Seconded. Please? Pretty please?

Thanks!

Arnold

* [TUHS] "Edition 0" manual
@ 2015-11-24  2:57 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2015-11-24  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 08:55:36PM -0500, Doug McIlroy wrote:
> Among the papers of the late Bob Morris I have found a
> Unix manual that I don't remember at all--a draft by
> Dennis Ritchie, in the style of (but not designated as)
> a technical report with numbered sections and subsections.
> It does not resemble the familiar layout of the numbered
> editions. Besides the usual overview of kernel and shell,
> it describes system calls and some commands, in a layout
> unrelated to the familiar man-page style. Detailed
> reference/tutorial manuals for as, roff, db and ed
> are included as appendices.
>
> The famous and well-justified claim that "UNIX contains a numer
> of features very seldom offered even by larger systems"
> appears on page 1.
>
> A little poking around tuhs.org didn't reveal a copy of
> this document. Does anybody know of one somewhere else?

No, I've not seen anything before Dennis' scan of the 1st
Edition manuals. Can you make a scan of this one available?

Many thanks, Warren

* [TUHS] "Edition 0" manual
@ 2015-11-24  1:55 Doug McIlroy