The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Working e-mail for Henry Spencer?
@ 2016-01-26 23:18 Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2016-01-26 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anybody have a working e-mail address for Henry Spencer? I've
tried his "zoo.utoronto..." address but the box is refusing SMTP
connections (from me, at least). Alternatively, could someone e-mail
him and see if he would be interested in joining the TUHS list?

And ditto for any other old Unix users!

Cheers, Warren

* [TUHS] Working e-mail for Henry Spencer?
@ 2016-01-27 16:05 ` Nemo
From: Nemo @ 2016-01-27 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26 January 2016 at 18:18, Warren Toomey <wkt at tuhs.org> wrote:
> Does anybody have a working e-mail address for Henry Spencer? I've
> tried his "zoo.utoronto..." address but the box is refusing SMTP
> connections (from me, at least). Alternatively, could someone e-mail
> him and see if he would be interested in joining the TUHS list?

There is a Henry Spencer <henry at spsystems.net>, who about a year ago
or so posted to the IETF TLS list and posted to comp.compilers a
decade ago.  When I saw the name, I wondered if it was Henry at zoo but I
did not enquire.  I never met Henry, despite walking past Zoo almost
daily when I was a grad student.  As such, any email from an unknown
like me may be discarded.

N.

* [TUHS] Working e-mail for Henry Spencer?
@ 2016-01-27 16:56   ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2016-01-27 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nemo <cym224 at gmail.com> wrote:

> There is a Henry Spencer <henry at spsystems.net>,

That's him.

Arnold

* [TUHS] Working e-mail for Henry Spencer?
@ 2016-01-27 18:41   ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2016-01-27 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 27 Jan 2016, Nemo wrote:

> There is a Henry Spencer <henry at spsystems.net>, who about a year ago or
> so posted to the IETF TLS list and posted to comp.compilers a decade
> ago.  When I saw the name, I wondered if it was Henry at zoo but I did not
> enquire.  I never met Henry, despite walking past Zoo almost daily when
> I was a grad student.  As such, any email from an unknown like me may be
> discarded.

Sounds like Henry Utzoo; many yonks ago, I actually met him at a private
party (you had to quote one of his signatures from sci.space etc).

Long story.

I think my pass-phrase was "SUN-ish: requiring 32-bit bug numbers" or
something.

Great party; I don't remember most of it :-)

* [TUHS] Working e-mail for Henry Spencer?
@ 2016-01-27 18:52     ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2016-01-27 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Horsfall scripsit:

> Sounds like Henry Utzoo; many yonks ago, I actually met him at a private
> party (you had to quote one of his signatures from sci.space etc).

Like at-parties (now _there's_ an obsolete concept).

Did it count if you knew enough to call him Sandor?  (Or if you knew enough
to _not_ call him Sandor?)

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
The experiences of the past show that there has always been a discrepancy
between plans and performance.        --Emperor Hirohito, August 1945

* [TUHS] Working e-mail for Henry Spencer?
@ 2016-01-27 22:54     ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2016-01-27 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 05:41:23AM +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jan 2016, Nemo wrote:
>
> > There is a Henry Spencer <henry at spsystems.net>, who about a year ago or
> > so posted to the IETF TLS list and posted to comp.compilers a decade
> > ago.  When I saw the name, I wondered if it was Henry at zoo but I did not
> > enquire.  I never met Henry, despite walking past Zoo almost daily when
> > I was a grad student.  As such, any email from an unknown like me may be
> > discarded.
>
> Sounds like Henry Utzoo; many yonks ago, I actually met him at a private
> party (you had to quote one of his signatures from sci.space etc).
>
> Long story.
>
> I think my pass-phrase was "SUN-ish: requiring 32-bit bug numbers" or
> something.

That's the truth, I was there and can assure you that 16 bits were not enough :)

* [TUHS] Working e-mail for Henry Spencer?
@ 2016-02-03 22:19 ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2016-02-03 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday,  2 February 2016 at 18:57:52 -0500, Norman Wilson wrote:

> Norman Wilson*
> Toronto ON
>
> (Not to be confused with Norman D. Wilson, civil engineer,
> after whom Wilson Avenue in Toronto is named)

And despite your recent declaration of love of all things Australian,
also not the late great VFL player Norm Wilson.  He made it to
Wikipedia, while you didn't.  That must say something about Wikipedia.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.
From: Norman Wilson @ 2016-02-02 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> There is a Henry Spencer <henry at spsystems.net>, who about a year ago or
> so posted to the IETF TLS list and posted to comp.compilers a decade
> ago.

I believe that's The Henry Spencer, all right.  SP Systems is what
called (perhaps still does) himself when consulting.

I've already dug up and sent Warren another contact address for Henry,
gleaned from a mutual friend.