The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] That's not a computer...
@ 2016-12-08 22:02 Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2016-12-08 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

*This* is a computer!

http://archive.computerhistory.org/resources/text/EAI/EAI.HYDAC2400.1963.102646295.pdf

A hybrid analogue/digital box, what could possibly go wrong?  And check
out the dudes and dudess supporting it (except she'd better be careful
when moving her chair, in case she takes out a paper tape unit...).

* [TUHS] That's not a computer...
@ 2016-12-08 22:10 ` William Pechter
From: William Pechter @ 2016-12-08 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Built right down the road from Concurrent Computer/Perkin-Elmer/International...

I serviced their 11/45 and installed their 11/780 back in the mid 1980s...

@ 2016-12-08 22:57 ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2016-12-08 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday,  9 December 2016 at  9:02:43 +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> *This* is a computer!
>
> http://archive.computerhistory.org/resources/text/EAI/EAI.HYDAC2400.1963.102646295.pdf
>
> A hybrid analogue/digital box, what could possibly go wrong?  And check
> out the dudes and dudess supporting it (except she'd better be careful
> when moving her chair, in case she takes out a paper tape unit...).

Ah, that brings back memories, though of a different hybrid computer:
EAI 640/3200 combination at CSIRO in Clayton, back in 1971.  I was too
junior in those days to understand all the details, but I do recall
that it was at least twice the size.

It didn't run Unix, though.  We programmed the digital side in some
FORTRAN dialect that included scaled fractions (integers with the
decimal point at the left).

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.