The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] standard types
@ 2017-12-07  0:39 Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2017-12-07  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have my own types.h that I carry around that has stuff like

    typedef unsigned char           u8;
    typedef unsigned short          u16;
    typedef unsigned int            u32;
    typedef unsigned long long      u64;
    typedef signed char             i8;
    typedef signed short            i16;
    typedef signed int              i32;
    typedef signed long long        i64;

and I wonder why the original Unix authors didn't make something similar?
Instead we have uint64_t and I don't see the added value of more chars.
--
---

* [TUHS] standard types
@ 2017-12-07  2:49 ` Ron Natalie
From: Ron Natalie @ 2017-12-07  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

The standard includes a similar set of typedefs.

The problem is that this does little to insure portability.

* [TUHS] standard types
@ 2017-12-07 11:42 ` Ralph Corderoy
From: Ralph Corderoy @ 2017-12-07 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Larry,

> Instead we have uint64_t and I don't see the added value of more
> chars.

The `_t' suffix plonks them in the area that POSIX has reserved so if
they do clash with existing ones that's the user's fault.  Perhaps they
felt the `uint' was still short enough and containing `int' was
mnemonic.

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy