The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] History of exploits - request for authors
@ 2017-12-18 10:31 Arrigo Triulzi
From: Arrigo Triulzi @ 2017-12-18 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

I am starting a new “history” section of the “weird machines and security” publication PoC||GTFO (https://www.alchemistowl.org/pocorgtfo for my mirror, https://www.nostarch.com/gtfo for a printed compilation of the first 15 issues).

Ideally we would like some articles about the history of security exploits where the historical importance is emphasised: we always get authors willing to tell us about the latest and greatest web exploit but they often lack any historical perspective about what has been done before.

As PoC||GTFO has a strong emphasis on weird machines and generally forgotten hardware and software I thought that the contributors to TUHS would be ideally placed to write something about their preferred security exploits in the past. I have fond memories of taking over a machine using and NFS /home filesystem exported to the wide-world, of someone trying to hack into my MasPar via the DEC Ultrix which controlled it, etc. but I am really rather interested in other perspectives.

I hope a few of you will want to contribute something to the collection, there is still space for the January 2018 edition if anyone is so inclined.

Cheers,

Arrigo