The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Sort of off-topic: usefulness of TUHS list and archive?
@ 2018-08-08  8:37 Warren Toomey
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Warren Toomey @ 2018-08-08  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

All, sorry that this is tangential to TUHS. I work at TAFE Queensland, which
is a bit like a polytechnic or a U.S college. As a teacher, I have to
demonstrate industry skills. I've listed my administration of the TUHS server
over 25+ years. However, TAFE wants this to be verified by third parties:

	"Where possible the teacher could show that industry endorses his
	website and any if there are any testimonials/comments/reviews
	available on the site, these could also be provided."

So, if you could pop a sentence or two in reply to this e-mail about
the usefulness of the TUHS archive and the mailing list, that would be
really helpful!

Cheers & thanks in advance, Warren

* Re: [TUHS] Sort of off-topic: usefulness of TUHS list and archive?
@ 2018-08-08  8:50 ` Warner Losh
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Warner Losh @ 2018-08-08  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Toomey; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

I used your site to construct historical unix sizes in s talk I have at
BSDcan. I've also used it to check historical unix behaviour when fixing
bugs in FreeBSD for Netflix...

Warner

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018, 9:38 AM Warren Toomey <wkt@tuhs.org> wrote:

> All, sorry that this is tangential to TUHS. I work at TAFE Queensland,
> which
> is a bit like a polytechnic or a U.S college. As a teacher, I have to
> demonstrate industry skills. I've listed my administration of the TUHS
> server
> over 25+ years. However, TAFE wants this to be verified by third parties:
>
>         "Where possible the teacher could show that industry endorses his
>         website and any if there are any testimonials/comments/reviews
>         available on the site, these could also be provided."
>
> So, if you could pop a sentence or two in reply to this e-mail about
> the usefulness of the TUHS archive and the mailing list, that would be
> really helpful!
>
> Cheers & thanks in advance, Warren

* Re: [TUHS] Sort of off-topic: usefulness of TUHS list and archive?
@ 2018-08-08 10:38 ` Wesley Parish
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Wesley Parish @ 2018-08-08 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Toomey; +Cc: tuhs

You might point them in this direction:

Dennis Ritchie's Interview for Samizdat
Tuesday, June 01 2004 @ 09:25 PM EDT
http://www.groklaw.net/articlebasic.php?story=20040601212559558

PJ quotes an email from Dennis Ritchie that mentions tuhs.org in
relation to the SCO series of allegations and accusations about the
relationship of Linux to Unix.

As an archivist of early Unix developments, you played a part in
keeping the record open and visible, which played no small part in
preventing a sizeable part of the IT industry from being held to
ransom. No small achievement.

Wesley Parish

@ 2018-08-08 13:24 ` Gregg Levine
From: Gregg Levine @ 2018-08-08 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Toomey; +Cc: tuhs

Hello!
For myself I'd say the list (and the archives) are very useful. The
list has answered many questions about a period in time I thought I
knew reasonably well. It backstopped a reason why I wanted to get into
the retro computing hobby as regards the early ideas on UNIX and its
relatives, BSD and all of the rest.

Oh and I also enjoy reading the discussions that are relevant to the
list, but not of course to my needs.

Sometimes I feel I missed something I'll track back through my
collection, and follow up on it via the list archives.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8@gmail.com

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 4:37 AM, Warren Toomey <wkt@tuhs.org> wrote:
> All, sorry that this is tangential to TUHS. I work at TAFE Queensland, which
> is a bit like a polytechnic or a U.S college. As a teacher, I have to
> demonstrate industry skills. I've listed my administration of the TUHS server
> over 25+ years. However, TAFE wants this to be verified by third parties:
>
>         "Where possible the teacher could show that industry endorses his
>         website and any if there are any testimonials/comments/reviews
>         available on the site, these could also be provided."
>
> So, if you could pop a sentence or two in reply to this e-mail about
> the usefulness of the TUHS archive and the mailing list, that would be
> really helpful!
>
> Cheers & thanks in advance, Warren

* Re: [TUHS] Sort of off-topic: usefulness of TUHS list and archive?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-08-08 20:14 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2018-08-08 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On Wed, Aug 08, 2018 at 06:37:06PM +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
> So, if you could pop a sentence or two in reply to this e-mail about
> the usefulness of the TUHS archive and the mailing list, that would be
> really helpful!
>
> Cheers & thanks in advance, Warren

Many thanks to the 20 or so people who wrote a paragraph or two outlining
how useful they have found the TUHS list and archive, and for throwing a
bit of approbation my way as well :-) That should be enough, I've copied them
into a document I can pass onto my managers.

Thanks again, Warren

* Re: [TUHS] Sort of off-topic: usefulness of TUHS list and archive?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-08-09 15:14 ` Steffen Nurpmeso
From: Steffen Nurpmeso @ 2018-08-09 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Toomey; +Cc: tuhs

Warren Toomey wrote in <20180808083706.GA20345@minnie.tuhs.org>:
 |All, sorry that this is tangential to TUHS. I work at TAFE Queensland, \
 |which
 |is a bit like a polytechnic or a U.S college. As a teacher, I have to
 |demonstrate industry skills. I've listed my administration of the TUHS \
 |server
 |over 25+ years. However, TAFE wants this to be verified by third parties:
 |
 | "Where possible the teacher could show that industry endorses his
 | website and any if there are any testimonials/comments/reviews
 | available on the site, these could also be provided."
 |
 |So, if you could pop a sentence or two in reply to this e-mail about
 |the usefulness of the TUHS archive and the mailing list, that would be
 |really helpful!

To me TUHS is an invaluable source of data and knowledge context,
especially with utree.pl i have worked many hours.
I know it also as been used as a knowledge base to fill in the
gaps in order to create correct ".Sh HISTORY" manual entries in
BSD land.

 |Cheers & thanks in advance, Warren

Thank you in return very much indeed.

 --End of <20180808083706.GA20345@minnie.tuhs.org>

--steffen

@ 2018-08-10 20:34   ` Cág
From: Cág @ 2018-08-10 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steffen Nurpmeso, Warren Toomey; +Cc: tuhs

Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:

> To me TUHS is an invaluable source of data and knowledge context,
> especially with utree.pl i have worked many hours.
> I know it also as been used as a knowledge base to fill in the
> gaps in order to create correct ".Sh HISTORY" manual entries in
> BSD land.

I know right, also the amount of books, biographies and advice that is
mentioned here makes it not only interesting, but practically applicable
as well.

--
caóc