The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Can anyone point me to source for a lex that works on Linux?
@ 2018-08-13 19:06 Arnold Robbins
From: Arnold Robbins @ 2018-08-13 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Hi.

Can anyone point me to source for Unix lex that can be compiled and
works on Linux?  I've tried in the past to make V7 lex work and failed.

Thanks,

Arnold

* Re: [TUHS] Can anyone point me to source for a lex that works on Linux?
@ 2018-08-13 19:57 ` ron
From: ron @ 2018-08-13 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Arnold Robbins', tuhs

Does it have to be UNIX lex or will the GNU Flex work for you (that's what
most of the LINUX stuff uses)?

@ 2018-08-13 21:03 ` Scot Jenkins
From: Scot Jenkins @ 2018-08-13 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs, arnold

Arnold Robbins <arnold@skeeve.com> wrote:

> Can anyone point me to source for Unix lex that can be compiled and
> works on Linux?  I've tried in the past to make V7 lex work and failed.

Heirloom development tools includes lex:
http://heirloom.sourceforge.net/devtools.html

I had it working on an older version of Slackware (12.x?) years ago.
It should still build on current Linux systems.

You need to build/install heirloom-sh first, then use it when
building heirloom-devtools.

scot

* Re: [TUHS] Can anyone point me to source for a lex that works on Linux?
@ 2018-08-14  7:41   ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2018-08-14  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs, ron, arnold

I am looking specifically for Unix lex; I have some old code that
assumes some knowlede of lex internals.

I will try the Heirloom Toolchest version that was mentioned
in another message.

Thanks to you and everyone who replied,

Arnold

@ 2018-08-14 19:16   ` Cág
From: Cág @ 2018-08-14 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Ron wrote:

> Does it have to be UNIX lex or will the GNU Flex work for you (that's
> what most of the LINUX stuff uses)?

Actually flex is not a GNU project, and is in fact based on the old
Berkeley implementation, so it's kinda Unix-y.

--
caóc

* Re: [TUHS] Can anyone point me to source for a lex that works on Linux?
@ 2018-08-14 23:20     ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2018-08-14 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society