The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS]  Paul Allen dead at 65.
@ 2018-10-15 23:08 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2018-10-15 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Dan Cross:

  Allen also funded the Living Computer Museum in Seattle, where one can log
  into a real PDP-11/70 running 7th Edition Unix.

And see a real live PDP-7, and many other marvellous artifacts.
Their basic idea is to be a museum of history that runs.  Well
worth a visit when in Seattle.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* Re: [TUHS] Paul Allen dead at 65.
@ 2018-10-16  0:43   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2018-10-16  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Kosela; +Cc: TUHS main list

A terrible loss IMHO, just considering StratoLaunch alone.

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 4:22 PM Andy Kosela <akosela@andykosela.com> wrote:

> On Monday, October 15, 2018, Dan Cross <crossd@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I just saw this headline. Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen dead of cancer,
>> aged 65. Relevancy to TUHS as Microsoft has been both a competitor to and
>> supporter of both Unix and (much more recently) Linux.
>>
>> Allen also funded the Living Computer Museum in Seattle, where one can
>> log into a real PDP-11/70 running 7th Edition Unix.
>>

> He was always the "good" side of Microsoft to me.  He left the company
> over disagreements with Bill in early 80s though.
>
> Great loss.
>
> --Andy

* Re: [TUHS] Paul Allen dead at 65.
@ 2018-10-15 23:13 ` Andy Kosela
From: Andy Kosela @ 2018-10-15 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Cross; +Cc: TUHS main list

On Monday, October 15, 2018, Dan Cross <crossd@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just saw this headline. Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen dead of cancer,
> aged 65. Relevancy to TUHS as Microsoft has been both a competitor to and
> supporter of both Unix and (much more recently) Linux.
>
> Allen also funded the Living Computer Museum in Seattle, where one can log
> into a real PDP-11/70 running 7th Edition Unix.

He was always the "good" side of Microsoft to me.  He left the company over
disagreements with Bill in early 80s though.

Great loss.

--Andy

* [TUHS] Paul Allen dead at 65.
@ 2018-10-15 22:18 Dan Cross