The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Article on the history of cat(1)
@ 2018-11-13 21:55 Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2018-11-13 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

All, I just saw this link to an article on the history of cat(1):

https://twobithistory.org/2018/11/12/cat.html

Cheers, Warren

* Re: [TUHS] Article on the history of cat(1)
@ 2018-11-13 23:27 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2018-11-13 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Rob:

  I rewrote cat to use just read and write, as
  nature intended. I don't recall if my version is in any of v8 v9 v10 ...

====

It is.  It was /bin/cat when I arrived at Murray Hill in 1984.
I remember being delighted with the elegant way to get rid of
a flag I had never really liked either.

I never knew Dennis had dragged his heels at it.  It was (to me)
so obviously the right answer that I never asked!

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON