The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Latest 2.9BSD and 2.11BSD
@ 2020-05-28 16:40 Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2020-05-28 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Greetings,

What's the canonical source for patches to 2.9BSD and 2.11BSD?

I see we have 2.11BSD patch 469 dated last month in the archive. Where does
it come from? Has anybody climbed the hill to import all the patches into a
git repo? I've found some mirrors, but moe.2bsd.org has been down for me
for ages... How does Warren keep things up to date?

I also have a (maybe faulty) memory of a similar series of patches to
2.9BSD because it was the last BSD to support non-split I&D space machines.
yet a quick google search turns up nothing other than a set of patches
dated August 1985 (also in our archive) and some changes for variants of
hardware (pro, mscp). Is that it?

Warner

* Re: [TUHS] Latest 2.9BSD and 2.11BSD
@ 2020-05-28 21:49 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2020-05-28 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: tuhs

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 10:40:55AM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
>    Greetings,
>    What's the canonical source for patches to 2.9BSD and 2.11BSD?

Steven Schultz is still the canonical source for 2.11BSD patches. He
sends them to me and I add them to the TUHS archive.

Recently I asked him to roll a new install tape which had all the patches
applied, at https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/UCB/2.11BSD_patch457

>    I see we have 2.11BSD patch 469 dated last month in the archive. Where
>    does it come from? Has anybody climbed the hill to import all the
>    patches into a git repo?

I know somebody tried a while back and reported here. They found it wasn't
possible to apply all the patches sequentially. I'd have to go look in
the mail archive for details.

Maybe it's time for someone else to have a go!

Cheers, Warren

* Re: [TUHS] Latest 2.9BSD and 2.11BSD
@ 2020-05-29  0:59   ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2020-05-29  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Toomey; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 3:49 PM Warren Toomey <wkt@tuhs.org> wrote:

> On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 10:40:55AM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> >    Greetings,
> >    What's the canonical source for patches to 2.9BSD and 2.11BSD?
>
> Steven Schultz is still the canonical source for 2.11BSD patches. He
> sends them to me and I add them to the TUHS archive.
>
> Recently I asked him to roll a new install tape which had all the patches
> applied, at
> https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/UCB/2.11BSD_patch457

Yea. The oldest one we have is patch 195. which is good news!

> >    I see we have 2.11BSD patch 469 dated last month in the archive. Where
> >    does it come from? Has anybody climbed the hill to import all the
> >    patches into a git repo?
>
> I know somebody tried a while back and reported here. They found it wasn't
> possible to apply all the patches sequentially. I'd have to go look in
> the mail archive for details.
>
> Maybe it's time for someone else to have a go!

I think so. There's 40 files that appear on a line starting with 'rm ' or
'Xrm ' (well maybe a few more if you count a non-functional lint removed,
no way to know for sure due to the '*').
10 of these files are either binaries, or are rendant man pages (meaning
the canonical copy is elsewhere and in a pinch we could have a very close
copy just omitting them entirely or copying from the canonical place). The
binaries can be regenerated. There's 3 files in pcc that can likely be
snagged from 2.10.1. There's 8 files named 'shortnames.h' that can be had
from 2.10.1 as well. There's 2 files that were created and then later
deleted. There's one non-existent file that was deleted. there's 10
toolchain related files that we can get from 2.10.1 and/or the CSRG SCCS
tree (haven't checked to see if the PDP-11 versions are there, they aren't
in the easily browsable svn conversion). The entire source for ar, nm and
ld are removed, but I think that 2.10.1 are the same, and/or CSRG repo
fallback. That leaves nsys.c as the only file not existing in 2.10.1, which
makes sense... it implements the new system call convention in 2.11, and it
too may be in the SCCS tree...

So based on that, I think it's worth giving it a try... :) Comments?

Warner

* [TUHS] Re: Latest 2.9BSD and 2.11BSD
@ 2023-04-08 16:33   ` Aaron Jackson via TUHS
From: Aaron Jackson via TUHS @ 2023-04-08 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Toomey; +Cc: tuhs, tuhs

Warren Toomey <wkt@tuhs.org> writes:

>>    I see we have 2.11BSD patch 469 dated last month in the archive. Where
>>    does it come from? Has anybody climbed the hill to import all the
>>    patches into a git repo?
>
> I know somebody tried a while back and reported here. They found it wasn't
> possible to apply all the patches sequentially. I'd have to go look in
> the mail archive for details.
>
> Maybe it's time for someone else to have a go!
>
> Cheers, Warren

Stumbled upon this email thread while searching my inbox for some patch
info. I've managed to setup an automated pipeline for applying all
patches sequentially, producing a new disk image after each one. This
has been built as a GitHub workflow, and the images are then pushed up
to an S3 bucket for others to use.

https://github.com/AaronJackson/2.11BSD-Action

At the very least, it is confirmation and verification that the released
patches can be applied sequentially, and each one leaves the system in a
bootable state, if applied correctly.

I've also been applying the patches to a fork of the source tree on
GitHub which Warner Losh created (maybe after this email thread). I've
been doing this in the patch-apply2023 branch but it's a bit of a mess
at the moment and doesn't build. The repo also includes an IBV11 card
driver which I wrote with the help of Toby Thain. I'm not sure whether
Steven would welcome patches for new features, rather than bug fixes,
but I'd be happy to generate a patch file if others wanted to control
their "modern" test gear from their PDP11.

https://github.com/AaronJackson/2.11BSD

At some point I'm planning to automate the process of generating the
installation tapes for each patch level. Not got round to this though,
yet - although it's Easter weekend, so I might have a play.

Cheers,
Aaron

--
https://aaronsplace.co.uk

* [TUHS] Re: Latest 2.9BSD and 2.11BSD
@ 2023-04-08 17:09     ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2023-04-08 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Jackson
  Cc: Warren Toomey, The Eunuchs Hysterical Society, TUHS main list

On Sat, Apr 8, 2023, 11:06 AM Aaron Jackson <aaron@aaronsplace.co.uk> wrote:

> Warren Toomey <wkt@tuhs.org> writes:
>
> >>    I see we have 2.11BSD patch 469 dated last month in the archive.
> Where
> >>    does it come from? Has anybody climbed the hill to import all the
> >>    patches into a git repo?
> >
> > I know somebody tried a while back and reported here. They found it
> wasn't
> > possible to apply all the patches sequentially. I'd have to go look in
> > the mail archive for details.
> >
> > Maybe it's time for someone else to have a go!
> >
> > Cheers, Warren
>
> Stumbled upon this email thread while searching my inbox for some patch
> info. I've managed to setup an automated pipeline for applying all
> patches sequentially, producing a new disk image after each one. This
> has been built as a GitHub workflow, and the images are then pushed up
> to an S3 bucket for others to use.
>
> https://github.com/AaronJackson/2.11BSD-Action
>
> At the very least, it is confirmation and verification that the released
> patches can be applied sequentially, and each one leaves the system in a
> bootable state, if applied correctly.
>
> I've also been applying the patches to a fork of the source tree on
> GitHub which Warner Losh created (maybe after this email thread). I've
> been doing this in the patch-apply2023 branch but it's a bit of a mess
> at the moment and doesn't build. The repo also includes an IBV11 card
> driver which I wrote with the help of Toby Thain. I'm not sure whether
> Steven would welcome patches for new features, rather than bug fixes,
> but I'd be happy to generate a patch file if others wanted to control
> their "modern" test gear from their PDP11.
>
> https://github.com/AaronJackson/2.11BSD
>
> At some point I'm planning to automate the process of generating the
> installation tapes for each patch level. Not got round to this though,
> yet - although it's Easter weekend, so I might have a play.

Any chance you could extend this to my work to recreate the 2.11 as
released tapes? There are extra challenges in the first 200 patches,
including missing patches...

Warner

Cheers,

@ 2023-04-08 17:22       ` Aaron Jackson via TUHS
From: Aaron Jackson via TUHS @ 2023-04-08 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: Warren Toomey, The Eunuchs Hysterical Society, TUHS main list

Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> writes:

> Any chance you could extend this to my work to recreate the 2.11 as
> released tapes? There are extra challenges in the first 200 patches,
> including missing patches...
>
> Warner

If you are talking about this:
https://github.com/bsdimp/mk211bsd

I'll take a look and see - that does sound like a mess to sort out
though :D

cheers,
Aaron

* [TUHS] Re: Latest 2.9BSD and 2.11BSD